hopeless?

Jun 15, 2009
Spring opening kits added for our 27 round pool. Took H20 sample and was told we had combined chlorine. Ph to start 8.2. Printout from pool store had me add 6.5lbs Lo n slo, 7.5 lbs of stabilizer 100, 17 bags of burn out extreme and 4 oz of polysheen blue. Well, I now have a ph of 6.8, alkalinity within normal limits, low stabilizer and a clear but greenish tinted water. When I backwash it is a terrible dark, brownish orange color. Should I shoot a hole in the side of the pool and buy season passes at the country club. We spent so much $ on the above mentioned products. Where do I begin?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Take a deep breath and then click on the Pool School link in the upper corner of every page, including this one. Read everything there. Read it a second time. If you don't understand something read everything a third time. (this will take you a lot less time than you think since each article is very short).
When you are done post any questions you might have and pat yourself on the back since you are now on your way to a trouble free pool and will never be "pool stored" again.

You do need to get a good test kit. Read the pool school article and get one of the three kits we recommend. It will save you a LOT of time and money in the long run and you will find it to be the best investment you made into your pool! We narrowed it down to these three kits for several reasons but please believe our collective experience that these are the test kits that will give you the best value for your money and be the easiest to use.
Just ask any of our members if the regret getting one of the test kits we recommened or ask any of our members who did not listen and bought another kit and then had to buy one of the recommended kits when they ran up against the shortcomings of the kit they bought.

Welcome and remember, we are here to hold your hand when you need it and we don't have an agenda to sell you a lot of different pool chemicals.

Hi swimmom,

I had the same problems less than a year ago, but since my pool is in the ground, shooting it in the side wasn't an option. At least with the ammo I had around the house. Too bad, though, as I would've enjoyed that given the state we were in.

I did what waterbear just suggested, and now things are great. This is obviously a testamonial, I guess, but just wanted you to know you're not alone with these problems!

Maybe hopeless no more since you found TFP!

You will regret ever thinking about shooting the pool once you implement the BBB and buy a reliable test kit! I for one have the TF-100 and my pool couldn't go a day without it. Just look at my avatar! You too can have sparkling water! Just read Pool School. :wink:

Welcome to TFP! :party:

swimmom said:
Thank you all for your encouragement and for talking me off the ledge.
I orderered my TF-100 today! I'll report my numbers and hope your collective expertise can straighten me out.
The TF test kit is your best friend as of the day it arrives...You will know exactly what your Free Chlorine numbers are, and you will No your CC and TC and you will be able to bring your pool up to the exact shock numbers needed to achieve a clear a sparkly pool and maintain it all summer.

Good luck...

Welcome to TFP!

Please take a moment to add your pool info/specs to your signature. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

With your test kit in hand, and us holding the other one, you're pool will be clear in no time. :wink:

Picked up the new test kit at the post office this am. And here are my numbers:
FC 0
CC .5
TC .5
pH 7.2-7.5
T/A 90-100
CH 270
CYA 48

We've had days of rain. The pool is crystal clear and very full.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.