Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to purchase first pool, help , please.

1. Back To Top    #1

About to purchase first pool, help , please.

My husband and I would like to purchase an above ground Pool for using with our grandchildren. We are looking at either 22x52 or 24x52 size Intex Ultra Frame Pool. We would like to use salt water system and understand the pumps provided with the Intex pools are notorious for being too small. Can anyone recommend the right pump size and sand filter size for both of these pools. And any thoughts on how much different 2 feet makes. Bigger is nice, but a lot more cleaning?

Also is there a cleaning system for in the pool that we should purchase too? Thank you so much.
    24' round intex ultra frame, intex salt water, Hayward 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to purchase first pool, help , please.

Hello and welcome to TFP! A bigger filter is generally preferred, not necessarily because it may clean better, but because it usually means more time between cleanings. Many folks will update to a pump/sand filter combo like this one: Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Sand Filter Pump Garden.

Keep in mind that's just one example. There are many, but I'm sure others will reply with thoughts as well. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!