How to wire landscape lights to automation

Jun 22, 2016
FL
I'm guessing somehow the transformer needs to be wired into the automation relay and then the automation will control when to turn on/off the lights manually? Will the transformer timer controls still work as well for setting schedules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my Pentair, the controller switches the 120V supply to the relay. You use a "dumb" transformer which does not have a built in timer. The controller is used to manually turn on/off and for a scheduled timer. Some "smart" transformers with scheduling built in will have problems with the power being removed as they will lose their memory/schedule.

Grumpie,

This is why you have the EasyTouch 8 and not the ET 4... You just route 120 volts through one of your empty Aux relays and then to the Landscape transformer.

I just schedule mine to turn on/off based on the time of day.

I have not tried it, but I would assume that if I set the Landscape lighting transformer to the "Dusk to Dawn" mode, that as long as the ET was supply power, it would not come on until dusk, and that it would turn off as soon as the ET removed the power.

So basically it would come on at dusk but always go off at some set time like midnight..

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. if we get a transformer that is 2x300 watts, do you know if we will be able to run them separately to 2 relays and control them individually? Or will we need two separate transformers to accomplish that?

Please review the electrical code here as there are specific safety requirements for landscape lighting near a body of water. You should use the Intermatic PX series transformers as they are rated for Pool Code and any lighting near the pool should be on a GFCI protected circuit. So you either have to route the 120V power from the back of the auxiliary electrical outlet on your ET panel to grab the GFCI capability from there OR, if wiring a relay directly to a circuit breaker slot, then you need to use a GFCI circuit breaker.

You can do it all yourself but only if you understand the safety aspect of it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then hire a licensed electrician to do the wiring.

Thanks Jim. if we get a transformer that is 2x300 watts, do you know if we will be able to run them separately to 2 relays and control them individually? Or will we need two separate transformers to accomplish that?

Grumpie,

I'm not sure what a 2x300 transformer is??? If it has two primary inputs and two secondary outputs, then yes, one transformer would work.

To follow up on what Matt is saying... I'm taking about Landscape lighting that uses low voltage LED lighting, and is not within 10 feet or so of the pool. In my case it would be physically impossible to touch the water and lights at the same time. If you plan to run the lighting close to the pool then I don't believe a standard landscape power supply will meet code.

I think it is a good idea that anything that you power externally with the EasyTouch should have GFCI protection. You can use a GFCI breaker or take the power from the back side of the GFCI outlet which is usually installed at the bottom right of the EasyTouch.

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. I'm certainly a rookie here and will lean on my electrician. But the way I am thinking about it is the transformer will be plugged into a GFCI and then controlled from the automation. Does that make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grumpie,

The normal GFCI outlet on the side of the EasyTouch always has power. So, your idea works only if you install another GFCI outlet and power it from one of the Aux relays.

Tell your electrician what you want and I'm sure they will do the job right..

Jim R

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.