Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to wire landscape lights to automation

1. Back To Top    #1

How to wire landscape lights to automation

I'm guessing somehow the transformer needs to be wired into the automation relay and then the automation will control when to turn on/off the lights manually? Will the transformer timer controls still work as well for setting schedules?

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to wire landscape lights to automation

The transformer I have includes a timer. Plus it has a day/night sensor if you want to go that route.
    IG Vinyl 18x36 28500 Gallon SWG Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    380 Gallon Master Spa Chlorine for sanitizer

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB is hooking up my electrical now, he talked to Pentair and they told him if he hooks the transformer into the automation that I will lose the photocell feature on the transformer.
    16x32 modified L, 512 sq ft, 15,000 gal gunite pool. 20ft 24" raised bond beam tiled with NPT lightwaves aquamarine. 3 color LED 24" Sheers by cmp called wonderfalls. 500 sq ft of Kool deck. Pentair equipment, Intelliflo VS 3HP, 420 CCP cartridge filter, Easy touch 4 w/IC40 SWG and wireless remote. 1 globrite and 1 intellibrite 5g pool light. Plaster will be Stonescapes mini pebble in aqua white. TF100 test kit and future dolphin robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

On my Pentair, the controller switches the 120V supply to the relay. You use a "dumb" transformer which does not have a built in timer. The controller is used to manually turn on/off and for a scheduled timer. Some "smart" transformers with scheduling built in will have problems with the power being removed as they will lose their memory/schedule.

Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Rokihunter View Post
    My PB is hooking up my electrical now, he talked to Pentair and they told him if he hooks the transformer into the automation that I will lose the photocell feature on the transformer.
    Thanks. I don't mind losing the photocell as I can schedule the lights through automation.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

6. Back To Top    #6

Grumpie,

This is why you have the EasyTouch 8 and not the ET 4... You just route 120 volts through one of your empty Aux relays and then to the Landscape transformer.

I just schedule mine to turn on/off based on the time of day.

I have not tried it, but I would assume that if I set the Landscape lighting transformer to the "Dusk to Dawn" mode, that as long as the ET was supply power, it would not come on until dusk, and that it would turn off as soon as the ET removed the power.

So basically it would come on at dusk but always go off at some set time like midnight..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Jim. if we get a transformer that is 2x300 watts, do you know if we will be able to run them separately to 2 relays and control them individually? Or will we need two separate transformers to accomplish that?

8. Back To Top    #8

How to wire landscape lights to automation

Please review the electrical code here as there are specific safety requirements for landscape lighting near a body of water. You should use the Intermatic PX series transformers as they are rated for Pool Code and any lighting near the pool should be on a GFCI protected circuit. So you either have to route the 120V power from the back of the auxiliary electrical outlet on your ET panel to grab the GFCI capability from there OR, if wiring a relay directly to a circuit breaker slot, then you need to use a GFCI circuit breaker.

You can do it all yourself but only if you understand the safety aspect of it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then hire a licensed electrician to do the wiring.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    Thanks Jim. if we get a transformer that is 2x300 watts, do you know if we will be able to run them separately to 2 relays and control them individually? Or will we need two separate transformers to accomplish that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grumpie,

I'm not sure what a 2x300 transformer is??? If it has two primary inputs and two secondary outputs, then yes, one transformer would work.

To follow up on what Matt is saying... I'm taking about Landscape lighting that uses low voltage LED lighting, and is not within 10 feet or so of the pool. In my case it would be physically impossible to touch the water and lights at the same time. If you plan to run the lighting close to the pool then I don't believe a standard landscape power supply will meet code.

I think it is a good idea that anything that you power externally with the EasyTouch should have GFCI protection. You can use a GFCI breaker or take the power from the back side of the GFCI outlet which is usually installed at the bottom right of the EasyTouch.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Jim. I'm certainly a rookie here and will lean on my electrician. But the way I am thinking about it is the transformer will be plugged into a GFCI and then controlled from the automation. Does that make sense?

11. Back To Top    #11

Grumpie,

The normal GFCI outlet on the side of the EasyTouch always has power. So, your idea works only if you install another GFCI outlet and power it from one of the Aux relays.

Tell your electrician what you want and I'm sure they will do the job right..

Jim R

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes it is a separate gfci. Thanks!