Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Sand question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Sand question?

Time to replace 350lbs of sand... Leslies...$17.00 for 50lbs.... Home Depot Quickret Pool filter sand... $5.99...

Inputs..... like to save money... but not to sacrifice the pool...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Sand question?

I don't have a sand filter, but my understanding is that sand does not wear out...

Why do you think it needs to be replaced?

Thanks for posting, and I'm sure some sand filter members will be along soon..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Stay away from the Quickcrete, there have been problems -

My findings on how not all sand is created equal

Also, why are you changing sand? It's lasted for a gazillion years, why change it now?

There is a deep clean process in Pool School for sand filters.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I am in a high metal area.... the sand is BLACK... i i read you should change every 5-6 years...? its been 9

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I have found both Leslie's replacement sand and Home Depot's Quikcrete sand to be very questionable. They were both "dirty", in so much as the pieces were different sizes. Pool filter sand should be uniform size with very little dust, otherwise it blows directly in the pool. IMO you are looking for clean, uniform #20 Silica sand. It is actually hard to find, but I am personally ok with shouldering additional shipping costs for piece of mind.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

6. Back To Top    #6

We recommend doing a deep clean rather than replacing it. Here's how, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Replacing the sand because it's black from metals will make it look better, but won't do anything for the filtering. And it won't remove enough of the metals to help any. If you want to make the sand look better, follow the deep cleaning procedure linked above, but before draining the filter get a bottle of vitamin C tablets and crush them and dump it in the filter. Then perform the deep cleaning. If it's really bad you may have to add the vitamin C twice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Deep Clean it is.. Thanks! Will add some asorbic acid as well...

9. Back To Top    #9

Out of curiosity and to help us understand better........do you constantly battle iron stains on the pool surface and use any sequestrants to keep it in suspension? Have you ever done an ascorbic acid treatment on the pool? Any idea what your metal levels test at?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Out of curiosity and to help us understand better........do you constantly battle iron stains on the pool surface and use any sequestrants to keep it in suspension? Have you ever done an ascorbic acid treatment on the pool? Any idea what your metal levels test at?
    Yes! Had pool 16 years.... Metal B Gone is a weekly maintenance item. Have used ascorbic acid a couple of times on sidwall to clean liner... It really can jack up your chlorine level though...

We have High Iron. Tried a expensive "Metal Trap" filter for end of hose when adding water.... did not see a difference...

11. Back To Top    #11

I am on well with 2 ppm iron. I use softened water to fill but still get about .5 ppm out of softener. So I also run my top up water through a 10" pentec filter housing using a 25 to 1 ppm reducing filter. Cheap and it helps reduce metal in pool and ergo sequestrant use.

I changed my sand last year (after at least 8 years or more before I bought the place) only because the filter is now in a finished pool house and is too hard to deep clean. I figured after recovering a black swamp five years earlier plus incessant sequestrant use, it at least might need the deep clean.

I was surprised my sand was not discolored at all.

The fact that yours is black suggests some kind of oxidization, lack of sequestrant, or something else going on, like gumminess from a different chem reaction in the MetaBgon...or maganese in your water? You may wish to consider trying a different sequestrant, eg Jacks Magic or Metal Magic to see if that makes a difference going forward provided the sand cleans up.

Just a thought.
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    I am on well with 2 ppm iron. I use softened water to fill but still get about .5 ppm out of softener. So I also run my top up water through a 10" pentec filter housing using a 25 to 1 ppm reducing filter. Cheap and it helps reduce metal in pool and ergo sequestrant use.

I changed my sand last year (after at least 8 years or more before I bought the place) only because the filter is now in a finished pool house and is too hard to deep clean. I figured after recovering a black swamp five years earlier plus incessant sequestrant use, it at least might need the deep clean.

I was surprised my sand was not discolored at all.

The fact that yours is black suggests some kind of oxidization, lack of sequestrant, or something else going on, like gumminess from a different chem reaction in the MetaBgon...or maganese in your water? You may wish to consider trying a different sequestrant, eg Jacks Magic or Metal Magic to see if that makes a difference going forward provided the sand cleans up.

Just a thought.
    Metal Magic is what I am now using. Bought a case..lol. Pool Breeze's works well too but could not find online and pool store that carry's it is 25 miles away...and expensive. The stuff from Doheny's is junk...

I will try the deep clean with ascorbic and go from there.... 350 lbs of sand is over $100... so worth the try...

Thanks!
    22x40 Doughboy sunk 2 ft. 6ft deep end