Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob over chlorination

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob over chlorination

Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Had some low numbers and tried to bring them up. Missed it.....by a lot. Just want some opinions on RE adjusting so I don't screw it up again. I got the calculator readings if you think I should just follow that.

#'s BEFORE
    FC .8
    PH 8.0
    CYA 60
    ALK 80
    CH 240

#'s AFTER
    FC 7.2
    PH 7.0
    CYA 60
    ALK 50
    CH 240

Calculator says to add 2.5lbs washing soda (PH)
    Also 10 lbs Baking Soda (ALK)

So I did the over add about 24hrs ago pumps been running aprox 8 hrs of that on med speed.

I love a learning curve....Doh!

Thanks
    Jedisparky

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    (SWG) Pentair Intelli IC40, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed UEE Pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter CCP-420
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Noob over chlorination

None of that is alarming at all. Do you normally have rising pH? Did you add some acid?

My suggestions:
    -Change your location to LA, California. I had to google Sylmar
    -Use a 10ml sample size for chlorine testing, then each drop is .5 (divide the drops by 2)
    -Print out this chart and keep it near your testing area Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

What does your fill water look like as far as TA and PH?

Right now they are not too low. They are can "live" like that for a little while. PH is easy to push up just by running your spillover. If your fill water has higher TA then you can just add some water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    None of that is alarming at all. Do you normally have rising pH? Did you add some acid?

My suggestions:
    -Change your location to LA, California. I had to google Sylmar
    -Use a 10ml sample size for chlorine testing, then each drop is .5 (divide the drops by 2)
    -Print out this chart and keep it near your testing area Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Lol, thanks Bruce, Location changed.

Testing @ 10ml my FC is 6.5. I'm about 20 days in to my 30 days before I add salt to my salt system and start that up. So if I'm looking at the chart I'm going to look at the non salt water chart for now I suppose. My pH has been rising steadily over the week. I added MA and Chlorine. Based on that chart it looks like I'm OK my concern now is the ALK.

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    What does your fill water look like as far as TA and PH?

Right now they are not too low. They are can "live" like that for a little while. PH is easy to push up just by running your spillover. If your fill water has higher TA then you can just add some water.

Kim
    My fill water was PH 7.4 ALK 100. I thought the target for ALK was between 80 and 120 now I'm sitting at 50. I'm wondering if I should just let it run for a few days and see where it ends up at before I do anything?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Yes, use the non-SWG part of the page for now. It sounds like you are coming off a new build or re-plaster?

Don't worry too much about TA. For new plaster the pH is much more important. You are doing great, don't sweat too much.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

TA is the last thing we worry with. You are doing fine. Once your pool cures then you will tweak your TA and PH to find their happy spots. While your pool cures your PH will push up so..........Just keep an eye on everything like you are and you will be fine.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Kim and Mr. Bruce, you're awesome! Thanks so much for the input, I feel much better. Also, yes Bruce, it is a new build, and I can't wait to be proficient at this and get to the business of swimming 😁