Hello From Florida

Hi and welcome! I'm going to repost a reply I just did for another user if it looks familiar...

You can absolutely take care of your own pool the TFPC (Troublefree Pool Care) way for much, much less than paying a pool service or doing it yourself "assisted"/robbed by your local pool store. No doubt.

Best approach is to check out this page in Pool School (link at top of screen). https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Then venture further into Pool School. Read that page above twice a day for three days. HA! It does take some time for the learning curve to be overcome, but once the light bulb goes off, you are all set.

TFPC is based on testing yourself with a proper test kit, understanding what your pool needs, and only adding that which is needed to it. Test kit: https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Saving you the trouble, I'd recommend the TF-100, XL option and Speedstir. You can't go wrong with that combo.

As a starter question, do you have a saltwater chlorine generator? Or know what one is? I won't assume you do. But if so, there is one other test to purchase. The K-1766 Salt test.

You've found the best place to help you manage your pool. Ask as many questions as you'd like, we just ask for people to be engaged and learn the process. As long as pool owners take an active role in learning the process, you will be overwhelmed with the support you receive from the forum users.

If you can fill in your signature with your pool specifics (see my signature for some thoughts on what to include) then we can all see that information each post and provide the best support possible. Edit Profile link (where you can add a signature on the left side): https://www.troublefreepool.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Hi and welcome! I'm going to repost a reply I just did for another user if it looks familiar...

You can absolutely take care of your own pool the TFPC (Troublefree Pool Care) way for much, much less than paying a pool service or doing it yourself "assisted"/robbed by your local pool store. No doubt.

Best approach is to check out this page in Pool School (link at top of screen). https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Then venture further into Pool School. Read that page above twice a day for three days. HA! It does take some time for the learning curve to be overcome, but once the light bulb goes off, you are all set.

TFPC is based on testing yourself with a proper test kit, understanding what your pool needs, and only adding that which is needed to it. Test kit: https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Saving you the trouble, I'd recommend the TF-100, XL option and Speedstir. You can't go wrong with that combo.

As a starter question, do you have a saltwater chlorine generator? Or know what one is? I won't assume you do. But if so, there is one other test to purchase. The K-1766 Salt test.

You've found the best place to help you manage your pool. Ask as many questions as you'd like, we just ask for people to be engaged and learn the process. As long as pool owners take an active role in learning the process, you will be overwhelmed with the support you receive from the forum users.

If you can fill in your signature with your pool specifics (see my signature for some thoughts on what to include) then we can all see that information each post and provide the best support possible. Edit Profile link (where you can add a signature on the left side): https://www.troublefreepool.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks for the info. I do not have a saltwater system. I've been looking into the test kits. I can handle the baskets and filter cleaner and things like that, but I am nervous about the chemicals. I'm going to take your advice in keep reading the Pool School section. It's pretty overwhelming for a new guy. LOL I'll get my signature updated as well. Any tips on how to figure out how many gallons my pool is? The previous owners were unsure.

Post up a picture of your pool with dimensions and depths and we'll get you pretty close. It's basically L x W x H x 7.5. But you have to work with average depths or by breaking up the pool into several areas.

For chemicals, the plan will be for you to test on your own (no pool store allowed). This testing will be very accurate - it's pretty easy after the first few times (everyone says it seems hard at first then is like, wow, that's easy). Then you will use the Pool Math calculator and it will tell you what to add. That along with your knowledge from reading Pool School and asking questions. Voila! Trust the system. Thousands of people do it every day!

Post up a picture of your pool with dimensions and depths and we'll get you pretty close. It's basically L x W x H x 7.5. But you have to work with average depths or by breaking up the pool into several areas.

For chemicals, the plan will be for you to test on your own (no pool store allowed). This testing will be very accurate - it's pretty easy after the first few times (everyone says it seems hard at first then is like, wow, that's easy). Then you will use the Pool Math calculator and it will tell you what to add. That along with your knowledge from reading Pool School and asking questions. Voila! Trust the system. Thousands of people do it every day!

Thank you! I will get those measurements posted up this weekend.

Just a little update:

We moved into this house last November. Since then, I've had a pool service. The owner was a nice guy and did a good job, but he was VERY unreliable. For the past 2 months, I've had to text him every Friday to ask him why he hadn't shown up that week. There was always some sort of excuse. We had a little chat a few weeks ago, and things seemed to be going in the right direction. That is, until today. I got home from work to discover that he had once again not come by. Needless to say, I fired him this evening. So, now the stress is on. I immediately ordered one of the recommended test kits. I'm going to get those pool dimensions this weekend so I can be ready to test when the kit arrives on Monday. As I mentioned, I'm super stressed about all of this. Good to know you guys are here to answer my questions. I'm sure I'll have plenty.

FLORIDA in the house!!! I SO know where you are coming from with being worried about the testing and chemicals. I even went so far as to get the test kit BEFORE the pool to make sure I could do it! LOL I could and it is fun!

I am going to share a page with you to show what we use in our pools. Most of it can be bought at Walmart! How neat is that?

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now don't go buying every thing on the page yet. You DO need find your best source for chlorine/bleach (same stuff really). Do you have a pool store that sells chlorine in returnable jugs that is easy to get to on a time to time bases?

We have videos and LOVE to teach how to do the tests!

When you are ready to really get going start a thread over at "Just getting started" and we will teach you all you need to know about caring for your pool.

Make sure to let us know here when you start it so we can make sure to pop in!

Kim:kim:

Such a pretty pool and area!

Here is what I did:

-I went to pool math (at the top of the page)

-I put in 12' wide, 26' long, 4' deep (I picked that number just as a starting point) I let the spa take the space for the steps per say as they kind of cancel each other out.

-I got 9300 gallons.

For right now I want to you start looking around your area for you best buy for chlorine/bleach (same thing) that is easy for you to get. Some find it the pool store using the jugs with a deposit. Some use Walmart's store brand plain bleach. Make sure to know what % it is where every you get it. Pool stores=11%, Store bleach goes from 3 to 8% so make sure you see it.

You next job is to fill out your signature with the pool info. Kind of pool, size of pool (we will tweak this after you get your test kit), equipment kind and size. Go to settings (upper right), then edit signature (middle left) to do this.

I look forward to helping our gain control of your pool. Here is some *light* reading to help you start to learn the whys and hows we do things here at TFP: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This will get you started. I have more to share LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much. I'm going to begin compiling my list of equipment for my signature. My pool is not fiberglass. It's like concrete or something. Is concrete what it's actually called? Or does it have some fancy name?
I've been reading over the ABCs list daily to try and familiarize myself with the terminology.

Also, thank you for the compliment. :)

There will be lots of learning and activity in the beginning and then it gets very boring...in a good way! When you test daily and keep your chemicals at the right level, there will be no pool drama. We started with the TFP method about a year ago and we have had no issues. Prior, we were fighting algae blooms every 3 months. The most exciting thing now is buying replacement chemicals. We have found Amazon to be an economical source of larger volumes of the R-0871 DPD-FAS titrating liquid and the DPD R-0870 powder that last for the entire year.

Just be VERY aware about Amazon! I was just helping on a pool here that ordered new test stuff from Amazon. When it came in their test results were "off". We could not figure out why. Since the only change was the test regents they took a close look at it. It was out of date by over a year!!!! :shock: Amazon then sent them more and it was out of date also!

I can tell you that TFtests (as seen in my siggy) has only fresh regents.

I shared this so you will be watchful no matter where you get the regents from.

There, there, there.........(pats back and hands you a cool drink) TFP is here!!!!

Walk out and get a sample of water for me. I will have something for you as soon as you come back inside.

Kim (goes to get a link)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support