New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

Azsunsets

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
San Tan Valley, AZ
I've decided to go with a company that does the pool design/engineering, & gives you a sub list, as well as helps with questions along the way.

I'm a little nervous & have a lot to learn!
All I have so far is the first shot at my design - a little tweaking to be done.
I welcome any comments/suggestions regarding the design/process/equipment/decking, etc.
Thank you!!
e6ea10bad591baa1e1381c2c675e0c90-1.jpg
97f644d006596c968c83e979d914e3f7-1.jpg
392116b1b84ed5564b3ea88e4d951a00-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! That's a very inviting design :)

You've come to the right place to get effective pool design and building advice! I like the idea of two skimmers and choosing plants carefully to reduce leaves and other debris falling in the pool :)

That pool is going to be an amazing addition for your home.

That is a pretty design. When do you think you will start?

For the filter go as big as you can. The bigger is it the longer you can go between cleaning it. Will you do SWG? Again the bigger the better!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to TFP!! It's a great place full of wonderful giving people and an unending wealth of knowledge and help!

What a pretty design! Make sure you have good water movement off the shelf so it's not a collecting place for debris, also make sure you have a light installed there so you don't have a dark zone in your pool.

I like being able able to control my pool from my phone, tablet or computer, so I recommend automation for it, in addition to the other advice you have already gotten from Kim and Jet. Also, a robot for cleaning the pool is the way to go! No need for an extra pump to maintain (and pay for!) just for a cleaner.

Check out this thread for ad for more info on a robot many of us have bought and LOVE First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

That is a pretty design. When do you think you will start?

For the filter go as big as you can. The bigger is it the longer you can go between cleaning it. Will you do SWG? Again the bigger the better!

Kim:kim:

I'm hoping to start in 1-2 weeks, depending on how long it takes to get the final design/engineering & permit taken care of.
I'm not sure about doing the SWG, I think I will see how things go without it. I have a pool that I maintain at another house, & chlorine seems to work ok there.
Thank you for the ideas!

Welcome to TFP!! It's a great place full of wonderful giving people and an unending wealth of knowledge and help!

What a pretty design! Make sure you have good water movement off the shelf so it's not a collecting place for debris, also make sure you have a light installed there so you don't have a dark zone in your pool.

I like being able able to control my pool from my phone, tablet or computer, so I recommend automation for it, in addition to the other advice you have already gotten from Kim and Jet. Also, a robot for cleaning the pool is the way to go! No need for an extra pump to maintain (and pay for!) just for a cleaner.

Check out this thread for ad for more info on a robot many of us have bought and LOVE First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

I read some of the thread about the robots. I have been using a suction side vacuum (is that the correct terminology?) in a different pool, & it has done a great job. What benefit is there to using the robot instead?
I was considering doing an in-floor cleaning system on this pool...
Maybe I should ask for opinions on those in a separate post?
Thank you for your suggestions!

Welcome to TFP! That's a very inviting design :)

You've come to the right place to get effective pool design and building advice! I like the idea of two skimmers and choosing plants carefully to reduce leaves and other debris falling in the pool :)

That pool is going to be an amazing addition for your home.

I'm not sure what they have planned for skimmers... what is the advantage to having two? The other pool I have, has one, so I'm not familiar with having an additional one.
Thank you!

IMO, save the money on the in-floor - they seem to be a bit of a hassle and can be expensive to maintain, but there are others here that are big fans of them.

Two skimmers is nice because you can handle two different primary wind directions. If you place one on the end of the pool to which the wind blows most of the time, you can place another on the other end to get the debris on days where you get a contrary wind.

Robots versus suction side cleaners - I personally love my Kreepy, but then I'm a little old school on this one. One advantage of some robots is coverage - some can be programmed and even manually controlled from an app to make sure you get all of the pool.

As for an SWG, if you're going to skip it but may do it later, make sure your equipment pad's pipes are set up with enough space for one if you decide to do it down the road. My pad is very compact and I'm not quite sure how I'd manage to plumb an SWG into it - and I really want one.

IMO, save the money on the in-floor - they seem to be a bit of a hassle and can be expensive to maintain, but there are others here that are big fans of them.

Two skimmers is nice because you can handle two different primary wind directions. If you place one on the end of the pool to which the wind blows most of the time, you can place another on the other end to get the debris on days where you get a contrary wind.

Robots versus suction side cleaners - I personally love my Kreepy, but then I'm a little old school on this one. One advantage of some robots is coverage - some can be programmed and even manually controlled from an app to make sure you get all of the pool.

As for an SWG, if you're going to skip it but may do it later, make sure your equipment pad's pipes are set up with enough space for one if you decide to do it down the road. My pad is very compact and I'm not quite sure how I'd manage to plumb an SWG into it - and I really want one.

Hmm, more to think about! Good point regarding leaving plenty of room to add SWG at a later date.
Thank you!

For continuity, keep your questions in this thread.

Nix the in-floor system. Not many people here on the forum have much good to say.

2 skimmers is always better than one. I have never heard of people taking them out.....only wishing they had 'em installed or actually installing them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a note for limited space applications, cells can be installed vertically so this would allow for installation in even the tightest of equipment pads so long as vertical space is not also limited.

Another advantage to a robotic cleaner is that it's doing most of the weekly brushing for you. I also vote for SWG and lucky you have Kim, Nini and others on your thread for bling advice :) They know the style stuff!!

Suction-side cleaners have served me well for many years (Hayward Navigators) in my pools. It doesn't cost much to install a suction port now and then you can used it if you choose. As for skimmers, with my variable speed pump normally running at low RPM I don't think it would flow enough fop two skimmers to work well. It doesn't take much of a breeze to defeat the surface skimming function because my skimmer is on the west end of the pool and the prevailing wind blows away from the skimmer in the afternoon when I need it most. My wind blown debris usually sinks before it gets to the skimmer. If I could move my skimmer easily, I would put it on the other end of my pool.

Yeh, that's part of my thought on two skimmers. By having two skimmers and a 3-way valve at the pad, you can select whichever skimmer works best. I need medium speed on my pump for quick skimming or skimming during windy weather.

Suction-side cleaners have served me well for many years (Hayward Navigators) in my pools. It doesn't cost much to install a suction port now and then you can used it if you choose. As for skimmers, with my variable speed pump normally running at low RPM I don't think it would flow enough fop two skimmers to work well. It doesn't take much of a breeze to defeat the surface skimming function because my skimmer is on the west end of the pool and the prevailing wind blows away from the skimmer in the afternoon when I need it most. My wind blown debris usually sinks before it gets to the skimmer. If I could move my skimmer easily, I would put it on the other end of my pool.

I am planning having a suction port, for sure! I'm not sure about the wind direction here, but I will ask about the idea of 2 skimmers, as long as one pump would be sufficient.

For two skimmers, there are separate pipes going from the pad to each skimmer. At the equipment pad, they each have their own valve, or can tee together into a 3-way valve.

So you can have one skimmer at a time, half and half, or most likely with most of the flow (say 80%) coming from one skimmer that gets most of the leaves, and the rest coming from the other one. Lots of flexibility. And yep, just one pump.

For two skimmers, there are separate pipes going from the pad to each skimmer. At the equipment pad, they each have their own valve, or can tee together into a 3-way valve.

So you can have one skimmer at a time, half and half, or most likely with most of the flow (say 80%) coming from one skimmer that gets most of the leaves, and the rest coming from the other one. Lots of flexibility. And yep, just one pump.

Okay, thank you for the clarification! Not too many trees near me, but it might be helpful anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.