Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 151

Thread: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    I've decided to go with a company that does the pool design/engineering, & gives you a sub list, as well as helps with questions along the way.

    I'm a little nervous & have a lot to learn!
    All I have so far is the first shot at my design - a little tweaking to be done.
    I welcome any comments/suggestions regarding the design/process/equipment/decking, etc.
    Thank you!!



    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide

    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Welcome to TFP! That's a very inviting design

    You've come to the right place to get effective pool design and building advice! I like the idea of two skimmers and choosing plants carefully to reduce leaves and other debris falling in the pool

    That pool is going to be an amazing addition for your home.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    21,854

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    That is a pretty design. When do you think you will start?

    For the filter go as big as you can. The bigger is it the longer you can go between cleaning it. Will you do SWG? Again the bigger the better!

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Nursenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bixby, Ok
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Welcome to TFP!! It's a great place full of wonderful giving people and an unending wealth of knowledge and help!

    What a pretty design! Make sure you have good water movement off the shelf so it's not a collecting place for debris, also make sure you have a light installed there so you don't have a dark zone in your pool.

    I like being able able to control my pool from my phone, tablet or computer, so I recommend automation for it, in addition to the other advice you have already gotten from Kim and Jet. Also, a robot for cleaning the pool is the way to go! No need for an extra pump to maintain (and pay for!) just for a cleaner.

    Check out this thread for ad for more info on a robot many of us have bought and LOVE First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery
    ​FINALLY FINISHED IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    That is a pretty design. When do you think you will start?

    For the filter go as big as you can. The bigger is it the longer you can go between cleaning it. Will you do SWG? Again the bigger the better!

    Kim
    I'm hoping to start in 1-2 weeks, depending on how long it takes to get the final design/engineering & permit taken care of.
    I'm not sure about doing the SWG, I think I will see how things go without it. I have a pool that I maintain at another house, & chlorine seems to work ok there.
    Thank you for the ideas!
    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    Welcome to TFP!! It's a great place full of wonderful giving people and an unending wealth of knowledge and help!

    What a pretty design! Make sure you have good water movement off the shelf so it's not a collecting place for debris, also make sure you have a light installed there so you don't have a dark zone in your pool.

    I like being able able to control my pool from my phone, tablet or computer, so I recommend automation for it, in addition to the other advice you have already gotten from Kim and Jet. Also, a robot for cleaning the pool is the way to go! No need for an extra pump to maintain (and pay for!) just for a cleaner.

    Check out this thread for ad for more info on a robot many of us have bought and LOVE First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery
    I read some of the thread about the robots. I have been using a suction side vacuum (is that the correct terminology?) in a different pool, & it has done a great job. What benefit is there to using the robot instead?
    I was considering doing an in-floor cleaning system on this pool...
    Maybe I should ask for opinions on those in a separate post?
    Thank you for your suggestions!


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Welcome to TFP! That's a very inviting design

    You've come to the right place to get effective pool design and building advice! I like the idea of two skimmers and choosing plants carefully to reduce leaves and other debris falling in the pool

    That pool is going to be an amazing addition for your home.
    I'm not sure what they have planned for skimmers... what is the advantage to having two? The other pool I have, has one, so I'm not familiar with having an additional one.
    Thank you!


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  8. Back To Top    #8

    TFP Guide
    triptyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    IMO, save the money on the in-floor - they seem to be a bit of a hassle and can be expensive to maintain, but there are others here that are big fans of them.

    Two skimmers is nice because you can handle two different primary wind directions. If you place one on the end of the pool to which the wind blows most of the time, you can place another on the other end to get the debris on days where you get a contrary wind.

    Robots versus suction side cleaners - I personally love my Kreepy, but then I'm a little old school on this one. One advantage of some robots is coverage - some can be programmed and even manually controlled from an app to make sure you get all of the pool.

    As for an SWG, if you're going to skip it but may do it later, make sure your equipment pad's pipes are set up with enough space for one if you decide to do it down the road. My pad is very compact and I'm not quite sure how I'd manage to plumb an SWG into it - and I really want one.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    IMO, save the money on the in-floor - they seem to be a bit of a hassle and can be expensive to maintain, but there are others here that are big fans of them.

    Two skimmers is nice because you can handle two different primary wind directions. If you place one on the end of the pool to which the wind blows most of the time, you can place another on the other end to get the debris on days where you get a contrary wind.

    Robots versus suction side cleaners - I personally love my Kreepy, but then I'm a little old school on this one. One advantage of some robots is coverage - some can be programmed and even manually controlled from an app to make sure you get all of the pool.

    As for an SWG, if you're going to skip it but may do it later, make sure your equipment pad's pipes are set up with enough space for one if you decide to do it down the road. My pad is very compact and I'm not quite sure how I'd manage to plumb an SWG into it - and I really want one.
    Hmm, more to think about! Good point regarding leaving plenty of room to add SWG at a later date.
    Thank you!


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    29,637

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    For continuity, keep your questions in this thread.

    Nix the in-floor system. Not many people here on the forum have much good to say.

    2 skimmers is always better than one. I have never heard of people taking them out.....only wishing they had 'em installed or actually installing them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  11. Back To Top    #11


    TFP Guide

    bmoreswim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central MD
    Posts
    2,877

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    As a note for limited space applications, cells can be installed vertically so this would allow for installation in even the tightest of equipment pads so long as vertical space is not also limited.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

  12. Back To Top    #12

    TFP Guide

    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Another advantage to a robotic cleaner is that it's doing most of the weekly brushing for you. I also vote for SWG and lucky you have Kim, Nini and others on your thread for bling advice They know the style stuff!!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    92

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Suction-side cleaners have served me well for many years (Hayward Navigators) in my pools. It doesn't cost much to install a suction port now and then you can used it if you choose. As for skimmers, with my variable speed pump normally running at low RPM I don't think it would flow enough fop two skimmers to work well. It doesn't take much of a breeze to defeat the surface skimming function because my skimmer is on the west end of the pool and the prevailing wind blows away from the skimmer in the afternoon when I need it most. My wind blown debris usually sinks before it gets to the skimmer. If I could move my skimmer easily, I would put it on the other end of my pool.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG play pool (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    TFP Guide

    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Yeh, that's part of my thought on two skimmers. By having two skimmers and a 3-way valve at the pad, you can select whichever skimmer works best. I need medium speed on my pump for quick skimming or skimming during windy weather.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    21,854

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    If you do get two skimmers make sure you are plumbed/valved so you can open/close each one separately. That will come in handy down the road.

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by slickraft View Post
    Suction-side cleaners have served me well for many years (Hayward Navigators) in my pools. It doesn't cost much to install a suction port now and then you can used it if you choose. As for skimmers, with my variable speed pump normally running at low RPM I don't think it would flow enough fop two skimmers to work well. It doesn't take much of a breeze to defeat the surface skimming function because my skimmer is on the west end of the pool and the prevailing wind blows away from the skimmer in the afternoon when I need it most. My wind blown debris usually sinks before it gets to the skimmer. If I could move my skimmer easily, I would put it on the other end of my pool.
    I am planning having a suction port, for sure! I'm not sure about the wind direction here, but I will ask about the idea of 2 skimmers, as long as one pump would be sufficient.


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Yeh, that's part of my thought on two skimmers. By having two skimmers and a 3-way valve at the pad, you can select whichever skimmer works best. I need medium speed on my pump for quick skimming or skimming during windy weather.
    So, you are saying you are only using one of the skimmers at any given time, correct?


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  18. Back To Top    #18

    TFP Guide

    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    For two skimmers, there are separate pipes going from the pad to each skimmer. At the equipment pad, they each have their own valve, or can tee together into a 3-way valve.

    So you can have one skimmer at a time, half and half, or most likely with most of the flow (say 80%) coming from one skimmer that gets most of the leaves, and the rest coming from the other one. Lots of flexibility. And yep, just one pump.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Azsunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    116

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    For two skimmers, there are separate pipes going from the pad to each skimmer. At the equipment pad, they each have their own valve, or can tee together into a 3-way valve.

    So you can have one skimmer at a time, half and half, or most likely with most of the flow (say 80%) coming from one skimmer that gets most of the leaves, and the rest coming from the other one. Lots of flexibility. And yep, just one pump.
    Okay, thank you for the clarification! Not too many trees near me, but it might be helpful anyway.


    Under Construction In-ground 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter EasyTouch w/IC40 Pebble Sheen Blue Surf

  20. Back To Top    #20

    TFP Guide

    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

    ...leaves, bugs and dust I wish I had two!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •