Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Owner Builder needs advice--safe to proceed with some pressure drop

1. Back To Top    #1

Owner Builder needs advice--safe to proceed with some pressure drop

We started the patio last week and I halted work as I noticed the pressure on the pipes was dropping. No equipment is installed, the pipes are all brought into a manifold with a pressure gauge. We had some pretty large temperature swings, so I thought maybe some of the loss was due to it getting colder. This week the temperature is less dramatic and it looks like I'm seeing about a 1 PSI drop per day. I don't see any moisture at any of the pipes in the pool the skimmer plugs or any of the pipe fitting I can get access to. Here is the data I've taken:

Last week, started at 20PSI. 7PSI drop from Thur to Monday; however, 30 degree drop in temperature
    20 PSI / 75? / Thur 12noon
    18 PSI / 65? / Fri 8PM
    17 PSI / ?? / Sat 5AM
    16 PSI / 63 / Sat 2PM
    16 PSI / 63 /Sat 4PM
    16 PSI / 62 / Sat 7PM
    15 PSI / 45 / Sun 8Am
    14 PSI / 47 / Sun 2:30PM
    14 PSI / 49 / Sun 4:30PM
    14 PSI / 48 / Sun 8PM
    13 PSI / 47 / Mon 8AM

This week, started at 22PSI Mon, it is sitting just above 20PSI Wed night
    22 PSI / 61 / Mon 1:30PM
    22 PSI / 60 / Mon 8:15PM
    21 PSI / 42 / Tue 8:15AM
    21 PSI / 70 / Tue 5PM
    20 PSI / 50 / Wed 8AM
    20 PSI / 70 / Wed 2:30PM
    20 PSI / 66 / Wed 8PM

Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Owner Builder needs advice--safe to proceed with some pressure drop

New build and pressure drop sounds like an obstruction of dirt or construction debris in the pipes. The temp is not relevant. Is there no filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    New build and pressure drop sounds like an obstruction of dirt or construction debris in the pipes. The temp is not relevant. Is there no filter?
    Can you say more and explain? The pipes aren't holding pressure. They are all capped. I would think any dirt in the pipes would not matter?
    Build thread - 15'x30' rectangular gunite pool; 17,400 gal; 5'x8' spa raised 12" w/ 8' spillover; 10'x6' Baja shelf; Two 18" tall columns w/ 27" water bowls; Light travertine coping w/ Light 2x4' split travertine ledgestone; Jules Rustic Blue tile; Pentair IC60 SWG; Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP; Pentair CC520 Cartridge filter; Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2; Four Pentair GloBrite; Raypak 406 heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you running the pump without the filter. I cannot understand how you are currently set up.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

No equipment, just roughed in plumbing.
    IMG_3416.JPG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Still confusing. If you have no equipment, how are you getting psi?.

Have you capped the lines to do a pressure test?
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Yes, he is in construction phase with all pipes capped to a manifold and a pressure value installed there for testing.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..
    2017 Build, 12.5K gal, pebbletec blue smurf, EcoStar VS pump (pool/spa), 2hp TriStar pump (water features), SwimClear 425 multi-cartridge filter, Hayward 400K heater, Turbocell-15 SWG, Pro-Logic Automation, LED lighting, Hayward suction side cleaner (model TBD), TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BeachHead View Post
    have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..
    Good thought, I was thinking the same and I asked the plumber yesterday to swap the gauge...the one on there looks like it's been run over by a car. I wasn't home when he showed up, but it looks like he took the pressure up to 26 PSI, but did nothing else.