Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Design Review

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Design Review

Hi y'all
    I'm wrapping up pool design and trying to go for a functional single-pump plumbing layout. (Going to bid next week)

I would appreciate any commentary, suggestions, etc.!

Thank you in advance.

Pool: (Single Body) 82.5K gallons / Spa 1.5K
    Pump: Pentair Intelliflo XF
    Filter: Pentair Quad DE 100
    Heater: Pentair 400K BTU Master Temp NG Cupro-Nickel
    Controller: Pentair i9+3

Water Features: (2) 36" Sheer Descents on Back Wall & (2) Pressure Ports for aerial cooler sprays
    Drains: (1 spa, 1 pool) Paramount Superflo 360
    Leaf Collection: (1 spa, 1 pool) Paramount Deck Debris Canister with MV-Fuse SVRS
    Skimmers: (4) Paramount Paraskim V Venturi
    Auto-fill: Paramount Paralevel

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 7.56.13 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-15 at 7.57.05 PM.jpg

Basic set-up:

Drains:
    Pool Drain + 4 skimmer lines | Spa Drain

Returns:
    Sheer Descent Return | Pressure Port Returns
    Spa Return
    Wall (Chemical) return
    Floor (Heat) return

Guesstimate on Pipe schedule:
    Drains:
    1: 3 pipe from Pool drain
    4: 2 pipes from 4 Skimmers
    1: 3 pipe from Spa drain

Returns
    1: 3 pipe to Spa Loop
    3: 2 Pipes to 6 Pool Returns
    3: 2 Pipes to 8 Floor Returns
    4: 1.5 Pipes to 4 Venturi Returns
    1: 2 Pipe to Sheer Descents
    2: 2 Pipes to Pressure Ports

Other Pipes
    1: 2 Pipe run to Spa Air Loop
    1: 1.5 Water Level equalizer pipe @ Spa to pool
    1: Pipe run to auto-filler
    1: Pipe sump pump run from Convo Pit to grass
    1: 2 Yellow Natural Gas Pipe to Heater

6 Street Drain Line
    4: 2 Overflow Pipes from Venturi Skimmers
    8: Deck / Area Drains
    1: 2 Pipe from Multi-Port Valve for waste drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing Design Review

One thing that I had added (based on a suggestion from someone on TFP) is to plumb the heater so that it can be bypassed. That requires a three-way valve on the line going into th heater, and a check-valve on the line coming out of the heater. And then a line from the three-way to the pool side of the check-valve. This allows you to completely bypass the heater when you're not using it. The theory being that water running through the heater is the main effect on its lifespan, so if you can prevent water flow for X amount of time it should increase the life of the heater by X. Or something like that. It also makes it easier to work on the heater if you ever half to.

Now you have a spa so you'll use your heater more often than I will (pool only.) But it still might be something to consider.
    18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log

3. Back To Top    #3

Plumbing Design Review

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDeano View Post
    One thing that I had added (based on a suggestion from someone on TFP) is to plumb the heater so that it can be bypassed. That requires a three-way valve on the line going into th heater, and a check-valve on the line coming out of the heater. And then a line from the three-way to the pool side of the check-valve. This allows you to completely bypass the heater when you're not using it. The theory being that water running through the heater is the main effect on its lifespan, so if you can prevent water flow for X amount of time it should increase the life of the heater by X. Or something like that. It also makes it easier to work on the heater if you ever half to.

Now you have a spa so you'll use your heater more often than I will (pool only.) But it still might be something to consider.
    Thanks! I modified the schematic to show an intellivalve controlled 3-way before heater - tying to to the bypass. This should let me also do a partial bypass if I'm pushing more than 120gpm when in spa mode or pool heating mode. I believe the flow-vis meters are de facto check valves, so I should be set on that front...

85K gal, 82'x34' Geometric IG Gunite, WetEdge/Prism Matrix/Southern Lights, (2) Intelliflo VS pumps, (1) Intelliflo XF pump, (1) 2HP Polaris Blower, (2) 100 SF Quad DE, (2) 400K BTU Mastertemp HD, Intellitouch i10+3, Screen Logic 2, Mobile-Touch wireless remote, (4) Intelli-valves, (3) Intellibrite 5g 12v Spa, (4) Intellibrite 5g 12v Pool, (3) 30 Gal Tanks VS Stenners, TF-100, Dolphin M500, July 2017 New Build in West Houston Area - PB

4. Back To Top    #4

omg, that design is absolutely beautiful. That pool is going to be what... $250k ?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kemble View Post
    omg, that design is absolutely beautiful. That pool is going to be what... $250k ?
    Not sure yet - hopefully will know in a few weeks.

85K gal, 82'x34' Geometric IG Gunite, WetEdge/Prism Matrix/Southern Lights, (2) Intelliflo VS pumps, (1) Intelliflo XF pump, (1) 2HP Polaris Blower, (2) 100 SF Quad DE, (2) 400K BTU Mastertemp HD, Intellitouch i10+3, Screen Logic 2, Mobile-Touch wireless remote, (4) Intelli-valves, (3) Intellibrite 5g 12v Spa, (4) Intellibrite 5g 12v Pool, (3) 30 Gal Tanks VS Stenners, TF-100, Dolphin M500, July 2017 New Build in West Houston Area - PB

6. Back To Top    #6

Is this your house or someone your designing/building for ?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kemble View Post
    Is this your house or someone your designing/building for ?
    It's mine.