Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cover and lowering water level with storm.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cover and lowering water level with storm.

Please, help me. I am losing my mind here.

First time in 30 years with an above ground pool. When we went to go buy a winter cover last year, they recommended these newer type covers that have foam inserts (which supposedly negated the need for the air pillow).

Before the last big snow storm last month, I thought that maybe the water level was a bit low. There was a bit of water on top, so I removed it with the air cover pump. Then the storm and high winds came and it added so much snow and ice that the pool seemed to drop an entire foot of water overnight. (I have no idea where the water went!).

As the ice thawed, I was back out there, trying to savage the cover and remove ice and then REFILLING the pool with water. Then all seemed well, the water level seemed fine and didn't change....

until last nights storm:

Same exact thing seemed to occur. The cover is covered with ice which seems to weigh the cover down and sink it the water level by over a foot and the edge of the pool is not covered not as a result.

Is this common with the typical pool cover with an air pillow or is it this *new * cover that's the issue. THere appear to be no leaks at all when the wax was warmer and I saw no signs of any issue.

Also, are these covers semi permeable or something? I don't understand how this water, over a foot of it(!) simply evaporates. I'm going bananas.

Thank you all in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cover and lowering water level with storm.

I have seen so many "cover on above ground pool causing problems" threads that I am of the mind to say NO covers allowed. There have been bent uprights, walls buckling, losing water like you, etc. Most of the covers are semi permeable no matter what they say. That is just the nature of the material. You are not crazy or losing your mind LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have an answer either, what about leaking through skimmer return?but I would remove cover as soon as you could,if able, I would refill and go from there and see what the water level does from there.With that much stress on the side rails ,lucky they didn't start to bend inward.
    Take the cover and put in recycle bin.
    I have a new unused one with additional rail clips for wind still folded after 2 years due to numerous issues/worries during winter and extra work involved.
    Unless I lived in a forest I will never cover again in a snow-ice belt.This is one of those,do more just to make it worse.
    Great idea, a no covers allowed topic section,everyone could post issues they have had using them.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusP View Post
    Please, help me. I am losing my mind here.

First time in 30 years with an above ground pool. When we went to go buy a winter cover last year, they recommended these newer type covers that have foam inserts (which supposedly negated the need for the air pillow).

Before the last big snow storm last month, I thought that maybe the water level was a bit low. There was a bit of water on top, so I removed it with the air cover pump. Then the storm and high winds came and it added so much snow and ice that the pool seemed to drop an entire foot of water overnight. (I have no idea where the water went!).

As the ice thawed, I was back out there, trying to savage the cover and remove ice and then REFILLING the pool with water. Then all seemed well, the water level seemed fine and didn't change....

until last nights storm:

Same exact thing seemed to occur. The cover is covered with ice which seems to weigh the cover down and sink it the water level by over a foot and the edge of the pool is not covered not as a result.

Is this common with the typical pool cover with an air pillow or is it this *new * cover that's the issue. THere appear to be no leaks at all when the wax was warmer and I saw no signs of any issue.

Also, are these covers semi permeable or something? I don't understand how this water, over a foot of it(!) simply evaporates. I'm going bananas.

Thank you all in advance
    If your skimmer and/or return port is not plugged, the weight of water, ice & snow will displace the water, which will eventually spill out through these openings. This is the same as what happens when you put ice in a glass of water. Keep adding ice and eventually the water will spill over. This water needs to be replaced or eventually the cover will pull off into the pool.

I have a standard heavy duty pool cover, it does not allow any water to pass through. I know this because every fall I get a nasty brown 'soup' on the cover from all the leaf debris, while the water under the cover stays perfectly clear. I would think this type of cover would stop just about all evaporation.

A covered pool is not a 'set & forget' thing. It needs to have the excess water and snow removed, as well as periodically checking that the cover is remaining secure. I pump water any chance I get, and remove large amounts of snow best I can. I leave 1-2" of water on the cover as weight to help hold it down.

If you are in a windy area, the cover may need extra securing, some owners even 'skrink-wrap' the top of the pool to prevent as much wind as possible from getting under the cover.

I find that using a large pillow helps to form a 'ring' of water that helps weigh down the outside edge of the cover, helping to prevent the wind from lifting the cover.

Of course, nothing is 100% secure with what is essentially a large tarp over a hollow opening, and severe weather / gale force winds should be prepared for best you can.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I get the next size up cover. And the bigger cover is easier to put on. That allows me to leave room for the cover to "SINK" as the water level on top pushes out water from below. And I always drain whats on top as soon as I can. I also clip and use the wire.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool co. told me to buy the next size up just as JoeSelf says above. I did and in the Northeast with all of the snow and ice - The cover sunk into the pool (even though I had my water up to my skimmer). When spring just came around, there was so much water on top of my cover that even though I pumped out as much as I could - the leaves and silt fell in the water as I was removing my cover. So, I don't know if buying the next size up was that smart.
    21 Foot AGP, 56" Height, Namco, Hayward 200k BTU, Gas Heater, Dolphin Robot, Clearway Cartridge and Hi Flo II Pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

You have to always drain the cover thru-out the winter. Can't let it sit all winter. When it warms up you have to drain. And yours is an inground which is different..
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a winter cover on but still have to drain the water out from the top from time to time. If I leave too much water on, it pushes the pool water out from the four corners (I have a rectangular pool). I use this : https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Dra...rds=pool+drain
    Bestway 18x9x48 rectangular steel frame above ground pool: 3,919 (90%) Gal water capacity; Solar water heater; 1HP sand filter
    Gorilla pad