Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Cleaner Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cleaner Suggestions

I am new to the forum but have been trying to do as much reading as possible to learn on my own but I was hoping to get some suggestions on a new pool cleaner.

I purchased a new to me house last summer with a roughly 17x25 free form pool and the pool cleaner has seen better days so I would like to replace it with something newer and better. Its looks like a old kreepy crawly suction side pool cleaner but I have no idea on its age. I was looking at getting another suction side cleaner (Hayward Navigator and MX8 have been recommended by Leslie's) since it seems that is what my pool was built for but I am not sure that's my best option. Leslie's also said I could get a Polaris 360 but I have three returns into my pool and have heard that I might need to close off some of the returns to get the Polaris to work the best. Lastly I have been looking at robotic cleaners since they are well recommended here but I want to make sure that the best and correct decision for pool. I don't have a lot of trees around my pool so there usually isn't many leaves that need to be cleaned.

What are you recommendations for a new pool cleaner. I was hoping to stay around 700.

Thanks for your help
    Craig

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Cleaner Suggestions

Many of us have bought Doheny's Discovery. It is a Maytronics Dolphin branded under a different name. Not a lot of bells and whistles, not super expensive but a GREAT cleaner!

more here: First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

3. Back To Top    #3

What is the estimated life span on the Dohenys Discovery?

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cbaum View Post
    What is the estimated life span on the Dohenys Discovery?

Thanks
    The length of the warranty and I'm not trying to be funny.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thats what I was concerned about. So they really only last 2 years?

6. Back To Top    #6

You could get lucky. But in my experience. They tend to break to the point of not repairing shortly after warranty ends.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

My Dolphin is 2 years old, and I don't see deterioration, or really anything except scratches from when my pool had a lot of calcium deposits.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I have a Dolphin Nautilus and I run it literally every day from open to close. This is the beginning of season 4 and I have not seen any signs of it slowing down. (Now I've done it)

The latest trend is a top sided basket for easier access. Most people don't recommend remote control or "smart" features although I do wish I had a remote sometimes.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    You could get lucky. But in my experience. They tend to break to the point of not repairing shortly after warranty ends.
    My 16-year-old Dolphin Diagnostic clearly did not get that memo. Power supply has been replaced but the robot still works like the day it was born. If it didn't have the awful bottom-mount filter bag it would still be my primary cleaner.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the Dolphin Nautilus Plus which has been a fantastic addition to my family. I cannot comment on its longevity since I just bought it this year. Here is a link to another members review of his purchase:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...erClean-REVIEW
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

11. Back To Top    #11

What are the differences between the Dolphin Nautilus Plus and Dohenys Discovery

12. Back To Top    #12

This is a timely thread for me. My POlaris 9300 I bought 3 years ago for about 1000 has stopped working. Beginning in year one I have replaced tires a few times, wheels twice, filter cannister twice and the power cord. I have also had it in for repair the first year but no longer remember what that was for.
    So yesterday it stopped working and has alternating flashing lights. Dont think it is the cord since it is less than 6 months old. tried to run it without cannister...still wont run. Plugged in correctly with no gap at connections....

Any one have any more ideas before I take it to Leslies for a good hosing? Financially...
    Any suggestions on a replacement? I am not real satisfied with Polaris due to the repairs required nor the longevity if the next step is a new motor or processor...
    20,000 in ground, plaster, 18 years old
    Sand filter
    Hayward pump - relatively new
    Disconnected old gas heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by AustinPynes View Post
    This is a timely thread for me. My POlaris 9300 I bought 3 years ago for about 1000 has stopped working. Beginning in year one I have replaced tires a few times, wheels twice, filter cannister twice and the power cord. I have also had it in for repair the first year but no longer remember what that was for.
    So yesterday it stopped working and has alternating flashing lights. Dont think it is the cord since it is less than 6 months old. tried to run it without cannister...still wont run. Plugged in correctly with no gap at connections....

Any one have any more ideas before I take it to Leslies for a good hosing? Financially...
    Any suggestions on a replacement? I am not real satisfied with Polaris due to the repairs required nor the longevity if the next step is a new motor or processor...
    Did you buy it with a credit card that extends the warranty?
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

14. Back To Top    #14

nope. no extension...how long have you had the S300? Still like it?
    Sand filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by AustinPynes View Post
    nope. no extension...how long have you had the S300? Still like it?
    This will be my second season and it's my second robot. I also have an old diagnostic with a bottom bag filter. The S300 is infinitely easier to clean and, therefore, much more usable. I've only used it for one season so far, not long enough to opine on longevity.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    This will be my second season and it's my second robot. I also have an old diagnostic with a bottom bag filter. The S300 is infinitely easier to clean and, therefore, much more usable. I've only used it for one season so far, not long enough to opine on longevity.
    I will need to decide soon...pretty sure the Polaris is toast and I woulnt want to spend much more money on it.

So perhaps the Discovery or S300

dont see any sales right now and no one locally to Central Texas selling it..
    Sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

The OP started out looking for a suction side cleaner. Very different price point from a robot.

If you are still interested in a suction side cleaner Hayward has bought out The Pool Cleaner, that many rave about, improved version is rereleased as the Hayward Aquanaut 200 (2 wheel) or 400 (4 wheel). Cost about $400 (less $100 rebate now avail) and I added a $25 leaf cannister to avoid clogging my suction lines. So my total cost $325 with the canister.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

18. Back To Top    #18

My best advice is Try to stay around 600 because if it breaks after two year. You aren't out that much.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    My best advice is Try to stay around 600 because if it breaks after two year. You aren't out that much.
    How do you like the Smart Pool...how long have you had it...I am always looking for others experience.
    Sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Orginally was looking at a suction side but after finding this site was looking at robotic but want to make sure its going to last more than 2 years. Was hoping to stay under 700.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    The OP started out looking for a suction side cleaner. Very different price point from a robot.

If you are still interested in a suction side cleaner Hayward has bought out The Pool Cleaner, that many rave about, improved version is rereleased as the Hayward Aquanaut 200 (2 wheel) or 400 (4 wheel). Cost about $400 (less $100 rebate now avail) and I added a $25 leaf cannister to avoid clogging my suction lines. So my total cost $325 with the canister.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast