So much to learn!

I'm glad to be here. We've had a pool for about 9 years (24' round above ground) and just decided to replace it with it an inground vinyl. We just went along with whatever the previous owners had done for the pool and didn't give it much thought. With our new pool, I decided to look into which pump would be ideal and found you guys. Wow, I had NO idea there was so much to learn. I've looked through many, many threads so far. We live in the Austin, TX area and have lower energy costs so I'm leaning toward a dual speed pump. I am most interested in the inyopools.com PureLine Prime Digital Dual Speed Pool Pump 1.4 HP PL2607 since it has an integrated controller/timer. I am currently lost trying to figure out 'feet of head' to right size the pump. I know the equipment pad is going to be about 35' from the pool but have no idea how much piping there will be. I do know we'll have a skimmer, three inlets, a main drain and 24" Hayward Top Mount Pro Sand Filter. The pool itself will be small, engineering drawings show 7871 gallons. I'm trying to determine if I REALLY need to figure out of the amount of piping or just go with the 1.4 HP since we have so few gallons and would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks in advance,
Raegan

Hi, welcome to TFP! Unless you are planning to add lots of water features or rooftop solar heating a 1 hp 2 speed pump should be more than adequate. Your 24' AGP held a lot more water than the pool you are building. I don't know what size pump you had on it, but you won't need anything bigger than what you had before.

Will the equipment pad be uphill from the pool?

Thanks for the welcome and your reply! Our above ground pool had a 1 HP single speed pump, and yes that pool was much bigger . . . about 5,000 more gallons I think. We are going to have two deck jets but no waterfalls, solar heaters, etc. The equipment will be about level with the pool and maybe even a bit lower. I was thinking with such a small pool, the smaller pump should be plenty, but wanted to double check the distance to the equipment pad didn't change anything. Thanks so much, it's greatly appreciated.

Unless you are trying to move water uphill or up to a roof top for a solar heating system a 1 hp pump should be just fine. I personally prefer a 2 speed 1 hp pump. Water filters more efficiently on low speed and it uses less energy. You would only need to run high speed when you are using a manual vacuum.

Hi zea3,
Are you running the Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower? If so, what do you use for a timer? The timer setup we had for our AG pool was a pain so I'd written the dual speed with a timer option off and looking for a pump with an integrated controller/timer. I was originally thinking about the Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pump 342001 (found for $640). Then I came across PureLine dual speed with timer for $520 here PureLine Prime Digital Dual Speed Pool Pump 1.4 HP - PL2607 - INYOPools.com. The 1.4 HP is the smallest HP, and they have 1.95 HP & 2.4 HP also. As much as I'd like the integrated timer, I'd rather the pump be quiet, efficient & right size. Maybe I should revisit the timer options bc it seems like the both the Pentair 342001 and PureLine 1.4 HP are both more than we need. Thanks for sharing your insights with me!

~Raegan