SWG for 17k gal pool for under $600 self installed?

Mar 15, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Hi guys - I am looking to convert to a SWG for my 17k gallon pool, but I have a very tight budget of $600. I will be doing all of the work myself. The pool is in Chandler AZ and uses a DE filter and a 2 speed pump, run by a pair of intermatic timers. There is a 120v outlet in the current box, and I am sure I could add another or hardwire if needed. I'm not a professional electrician by any means, but I am an avid DIY'er and fairly competent.

I am hoping that going salt might save a little money over those 100$ buckets of chlorine that don't last long here in the summer, but mainly because I need something more consistent. I am very busy with work, kids, etc, and I need something that will survive on its own better if I need to be out of town for a week. I've also never really dialed in the tabs either. So this is pretty much a convenience thing and if I save some money or have a better pool experience in the long run then all the better.

I read some other threads about running an IC20 (or would I need an IC40?) without having to install the easy touch, but not sure how that plays with their power center and getting down to low voltage. Any clarity on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Travis,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions... :snorkle:

I can't help with a specific recommendation, but I can tell you that you will need a SWCG that is rated for 2 x the size of your pool. So a 20K SWCG will just not cut it.

Ratings are based upon the SWCG running at 100% output for 24/7. Not something you want to do.

In the middle of the summer here in Texas, I often have to turn my SWCG up to 60% to keep up with the chlorine demand and we have the same size pool.

You do not have to have an EasyTouch to run the IC40, but I'm not sure that it will fit into your budget.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The 40k rated Hayward AquaRite AQR15 is the most recommended unit on the forum. I can't speak for the rebuilt one, but I have been using one for 12 years and if mine blew up today I would buy a new one just like it tomorrow. Based on the life span and cost of replacement cells my cost of chlorinating my 20k pool (open year-round in sunny Tucson) has been around $60 per year..

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Your two-speed pump is working in your favor as far as running a smaller SWG for long hours, but $600 is pretty tight. Circupool is the distant cousin in terms of recommendations here, but those that have them are happy with them. They're a bit cheaper and sometimes offer a $1 upgrade to the next size up.

For ~$300 to $500 you could add a Stenner peristaltic injection pump and a reservoir. You'd still have to buy chlorinating liquid, so you wouldn't gain the benefit of making your own chlorine at home, but it would solve the issue of absences.

This website has some comparative information and I've seen comments here that they are helpful on the phone. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

You can run the SWG off your low-speed timer which would save the cost of a third timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.