Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness Question

I'm super new to all this. Got rid of my pool guy, and tossed the test strips. Yesterday I drained the pool and refilled it last night.

Took my first Taylor K2006 test kit measurements:

1.6 ppm FC
    0.4 ppm CC
    8.0 pH
    140 Total Alkalinity
    410 Calcium Hardness
    36 ppm CYA

Delighted with all numbers except Calcium Hardness. PoolMath is telling me to drain 37% of my pool...but I just drained 85% yesterday.

Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
    10,500 gallons - in-ground - Pebbletec - Pentair cartridge filter - 2 pumps...Intelliflo (3hp) for the filter, and Whisperflo (1 hp) for cleaning - Built approx 2005 - Taylor K2006 - attached spa - in-floor cleaner - city water - has SWG, but I don't use it to save money - North Phoenix AZ metro area - built underneath a surly palo verde tree begging to be made into firewood.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Calcium Hardness Question

No, the biggest 2 problems are pH (too high) and FC (too low). Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and pH in the 7s

I guessed your state without looking 410 is fine for CH. Get the other two resolved (today)
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, with that K-2006, remember you can use the 10 ML water sample size, use one hefty scoop of powder, then mix from pink to clear. Take the total number and divide by 2. Example: 14 drops = FC of 7. That is an accurate way of measuring and should help to save you some reagent. Also agree with Mr. B - increase FC quickly and lower pH and you'll do fine. If you find your pH increasing quickly, consider lowering your TA via the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Consider a new TA range of about 70-80 and see if that helps keep the pH from rising so fast.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to you both. Yes, I've added bleach, then acid, and will re-test in a day or so. Thanks again for your help.
    10,500 gallons - in-ground - Pebbletec - Pentair cartridge filter - 2 pumps...Intelliflo (3hp) for the filter, and Whisperflo (1 hp) for cleaning - Built approx 2005 - Taylor K2006 - attached spa - in-floor cleaner - city water - has SWG, but I don't use it to save money - North Phoenix AZ metro area - built underneath a surly palo verde tree begging to be made into firewood.