Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello!

Hello, I am from SE Texas, I am a caregiver to my mother with Alzheimers, I have 3 kids, 2 in their mid 20s and married with one still in high school. We got the pool to teach our grandkids to swim and to help with my depression. My 1.5yr old at the time, couldn't swim but we got her to flip over and float and wiggle her way to the side of the pool. My 5yr old grand son is a little fish. We haven't even had it a full year and our kids and their families come over and we have pool parties and just love it. We have not had satisfactory pool chemical advice till we talked to our friend who recommended this site.

My first real trial is the green swamp monster pool I have from leaving it untouched through winter. We roughly have 7 or 8ish months of swim time. So it has been left alone for a while.

I watched the SLAM video over and over, took notes and read through the website. I finally think I know what is going to happen. I finally got the chemicals in order, dump bleach and wait an hour to test, then 2...then over night. Finally around 15hours later I had to add 3 cups of bleach. NOT what I was expecting.(not complaining mind you)

So digging through the forums, I have found that 1) Cool weather does not affect testing and 2) PH usually goes up when SLAMing the pool. Thank y'all so very much for the help so far and I look forward to learning more about pools

I have a 24ft round above ground pool with a sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello!

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Poor thing You have your hands full!

Do you have a good test kit? It seems as if you have done quite a bit of reading so far but want to make sure you have the test kit.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We're here to help. Glad you are finding the forum useful. Stick around and let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great Texas day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I have a DPD test kit that is color coded like your Pool chem calculator.

6. Back To Top    #6

To do a SLAM you really need a FAS-DPD test. This is the test that goes much higher than the drop, color match test.

Here is a link to it: TFTestkits.net

Does your test kit have the test for CYA?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes it does, it tests for Calcium Hardness, Cyanuric Acid, Free Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, Total Bromine and Total Chlorine. I will see if I can find a FAS-DPD test kit so I can get a more accurate reading. Thank you.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good! That is all you will need to finish out the kit. I did provide a link to where you can get the FAS=DPD test.

Kim