Sports pool centre depths

Apearl

Mar 15, 2017
ON
Those with sports pools with a centre water depth of 5 feet and play volleyball....do you find the net to be too high?
I am 5'6", husband is just over 6'. Most friends are at least 5'6".
We are leaning towards a sports pool with water depths of 4,5,4.....there will also be a small entrance in with steps to 3.5 deep (small stick out of the L shaped pool).
Thanks for your input!

I would recommend against 4' in the shallow ends as that would put the majority of your pool at 4.5-5' which is an unusual depth. We did 3.5/5/4 and wish the 4' was 3.5'. The only way 4' might work is if you have a really long pool (ours is 34'). It really boils down to personal preference on how you will use your pool. We are more social pool people than "swimmers" per se.

The 5' middle is fine, as most of the time your playing back from the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend against 4' in the shallow ends as that would put the majority of your pool at 4.5-5' which is an unusual depth. We did 3.5/5/4 and wish the 4' was 3.5'. The only way 4' might work is if you have a really long pool (ours is 34'). It really boils down to personal preference on how you will use your pool. We are more social pool people than "swimmers" per se.

The 5' middle is fine, as most of the time your playing back from the net.

Interesting! We have a 3.5/5/4 and I'd really rather it be a 4/5/4 as the 3.5 seems too shallow to stand and relax in. :)

We have 3.5/5.5/4
I wish we would have gone 4/6/4
The 3.5 feels a little shallow (I'm 4'11") and 5.5 is too shallow to jump into without smacking your feet. Still a playable depth in the middle since you aren't right up on the net. Just my opinion..

Interesting! We have a 3.5/5/4 and I'd really rather it be a 4/5/4 as the 3.5 seems too shallow to stand and relax in. :)

Curious, what is your pool length and how quickly from the sides does it start to slope? Ours starts to slope after just a couple of feet on a 34' long pool, so only a very tiny bit of our pool is actually 3.5. I think the slope could make all of the difference.

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the feed back. Pool length is 36 feet but I am not sure where it would start sloping towards the 5 foot centre. I am waiting for PB to call me back. I assumed that the three sections wold be divided out to be equal so for instance if the pool length is 36 feet....does 12 feet per depth make sense so 12 feet long of a 4 foot depth, then a 3 foot long slope down to the centre 5 foot depth...then a 3 foot long base of the pool at 5 feet depth and then mirror the rest of the pool to match what I just outlined. Does this make sense?

This morning I woke up with another idea....since we have kids (almost 1, 3 and 5) there is a part of me that does want a bit of a deeper area for them to jump into.....so would the following work - extend the pool length to 38 feet long. Use the first 24 feet length for volleyball (12 foot long sides)....is 24 feet long enough for a full court say with 4 on 4 players? At the 24 foot mark slope it down to 6 or 7 feet (whatever permits based on pool code for slopes and depths). No diving board obviously but just an area for jumping in, cannonballing. Mostly it would be a social pool as I am not a big swimmer....husband is more so than I but doesn't want diving depths.

I can't seem to attach a picture of the project but below is our design video.....backyard is a blank slate except for an existing deck which is just getting extended. I wish I would have found this site earlier......so many helpful and knowledgeable people!!! Thank u thank u thank u!

pearlstone v5 0 - YouTube

Last point....shape of pool is L because I wanted a large shallow end at the base of the L and then a deep end branching up off the L but since the base part is only 10 feet wide it won't work as a true shallow end for volleyball if that makes sense.....

28 feet long. I'd say at least 4 or 5 feet is the 3.5 foot depth, but you're right, it may be less than 3.5 near the end. :)

Our little ones are ok cannonballing (no head first diving is allowed) with the 5 foot center - I'm not sure you're going to like the utility of trying to go to 7 or more feet, but that's something you can certainly ask your builder about.

Be careful when comparing comments from gunite pools versus liner pools. It is common in liner pools to have flat areas with constant depth before the slope occurs. Gunite pools more commonly have constant slopes of varying degrees. Note the types of pools people have from their signatures and factor that into their replies.

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the feed back. Pool length is 36 feet but I am not sure where it would start sloping towards the 5 foot centre. I am waiting for PB to call me back. I assumed that the three sections wold be divided out to be equal so for instance if the pool length is 36 feet....does 12 feet per depth make sense so 12 feet long of a 4 foot depth, then a 3 foot long slope down to the centre 5 foot depth...then a 3 foot long base of the pool at 5 feet depth and then mirror the rest of the pool to match what I just outlined. Does this make sense?.....

This seems really odd to me. A 3 foot length for a 1 foot drop is a really steep slope. It would be nearly impossible to stand on and not sure it would even pass code? Our continual slope from 3.5' to 5' over nearly 15 feet is noticeable. For a sports pool I wouldn't want it much steeper.

A better option may be 5 feet of shallow end and then continuous slopes to the deepest middle point.

As for your L shape pool, if you want to go with a real deep-end, why not make the small portion of the L the deep end? Then have your sports bottom in the long end of the L?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful when comparing comments from gunite pools versus liner pools. It is common in liner pools to have flat areas with constant depth before the slope occurs. Gunite pools more commonly have constant slopes of varying degrees. Note the types of pools people have from their signatures and factor that into their replies.

Excellent point!! I didn't realize that the slopes are different on the gunite versus vinyl pools. Ours would be vinyl.

I feel that it would be awkward to have the deep end near the main deck lounge area because the loungers wouldn't be able to interact with the people in the deep end of the pool and likely there wouldn't be as many people in the deep end as in the shallow. Also the loungers on deck would be getting splashed by the jumpers. Lastly this is the spot where we get the most sun ....it's the last spot at the end of the day to have sun....we have a north facing backyard.

Thanks Pooldv! I have been reading this....numerous older posts state this is prefered. I am struggling with the slopes though. My PB has never installed a 4,5,4. We are doing a vinyl lined pool. Can you please explain your slope across your pool? I am trying to understand how large these 5 foot deep sections typically are in these pools or if it is just a valley (lowest point) at which the pool then starts to back up to 4 feet?

Last edited:
I feel that it would be awkward to have the deep end near the main deck lounge area because the loungers wouldn't be able to interact with the people in the deep end of the pool and likely there wouldn't be as many people in the deep end as in the shallow. Also the loungers on deck would be getting splashed by the jumpers. Lastly this is the spot where we get the most sun ....it's the last spot at the end of the day to have sun....we have a north facing backyard.

This makes a lot of sense. I didn't appreciate your layout.

Our pool is gunite and it is a continuous slope from 4' down to 5'. Which is great because people of all heights can find their sweet spot for standing in the depth of water that suits them best. Our pool is 41' long so the slope is very gradual. The 5' part is only a few feet wide in the middle. I don't know if vinyl pools can be built with a similar gradual slope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.