Build Deck Over Sand Filter

Jul 9, 2016
Bellevue Nebraska
Hi all,
I've searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my question.

We have 24x52 round AGP with sand filter and pump. Brand new August 2016. We closed the pool and brought both the filter and pump indoors in October because we have brutal winters.

So we are having a half deck built (12x8) and it will connect to our higher deck by stairs. The filter and pump will be under the half deck. Deck builder said we will have a hatch to access filter. So my question is, how will we get the filter out once the season is over or do we keep the filter outdoors under the deck? Or should we move the filter? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Dee Ann W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that there is any reason to bring it inside. Drain it, disconnect the plumbing, take the gauge off and plug the hole. Sun is much harder on the filter than cold and snow.

But, someday you'll have to replace it, so there has to be some way to get it out of there.

If it were me I wouldn't cover equipment that will need service where you will only be able to get to it thru a hatch. If its on the perimeter of the deck where you can access the equipment with out having to go under the deck that might be ok.
Where is the skimmer going to be in relation to the deck?
Pictures could be helpful for ideas.

If you decide to build the deck over the top of the filter and pump you will need to make sure you include a big enough crawl space to access both if needed. I would also hard plumb with ridged pvc pipe and get rid of any hoses connecting equipment to the pool. You can add valves to the pvc and you won't have to worry about how to access the hoses should one break or pop off.

Thank you! I'm going to take pictures before the build. And I was wondering about the skimmer as well. My husband wants to leave a five ft area open on the side of deck. That makes no sense to me. I'll add photos. Thank you!

If at all possible I would move it away from the pool to an area that is not under the deck. The pump and filter is something that you need to deal with on a regular basis, having it buried under the deck is going to get old. In a freezing climate with an above ground pool, you must be able to access the plumbing so everything can be disconnected and drained every fall then reconnected in the spring. It's about as easy for me to store my pump and DE filter to the basement where I don't worry about freezing as it is to be certain everything is thoroughly drained and safe. When I had a sand filter I always removed the control valve along with the pump for storage, then drained and covered the tank and sand. The skimmer must be easily accessible for cleaning or connecting the vac, a small access door would work for that as long as you can get to the plumbing from underneath to winterize. I prefer to be able to walk right up to the skimmer rather than get down on my hands and knees to clean it out every single day. I crawl around under the deck just to get the pool covered and closed in the fall, and that is more than enough of that.

We have 24x52 round AGP with sand filter and pump. Brand new August 2016. We closed the pool and brought both the filter and pump indoors in October because we have brutal winters.

So we are having a half deck built (12x8) and it will connect to our higher deck by stairs. The filter and pump will be under the half deck. Deck builder said we will have a hatch to access filter. So my question is, how will we get the filter out once the season is over or do we keep the filter outdoors under the deck? Or should we move the filter? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Dee Ann W

Congrats on the new pool and Welcome to the forum.

I would seriously consider the weekly, if not daily, maintenance of the pump and filter. The pump basket will need to be checked & cleaned. The filter pressure will need to be checked and backwashed as necessary. Even with that hatch, you will be crawling around under a low deck trying to operate and clean the equipment. Don't forget your flashlight or you will have to crawl out to get it. I suppose if the equipment was just at the edge of the deck it wouldn't be as bad.

Good luck

I'm including 2 photos. I've circled where the skimmer is and the sand filter goes on the concrete square. So the deck will be 12x8 and the skimmer will be in the middle of the deck. I wish I had known this before. And can we move the sand filter where the lavender x is? The deck will not be on that side. There is a retaining wall. I appreciate everyone's comments and replies!!
b763cb43fe9104d2bdaad4f4cf9abc5f.jpg
afbdd19320cf89f171a3af7fe3f320fa.jpg
8b2b3af3656231e7e500e3648f3c98f8.jpg

You could put the filter where the lavender X is, you would just have a longer run of pipe from the pool to the filter. It may look a little odd since the pump and filter would be off to the side, but it should function just fine.

I definitely would run plumbing to get your equipment out from under that deck. Either out to the purple x or out the back of the deck towards the white vinyl fence. Which ever is most convenient spot to work on them. Make sure you have really good access to your skimmer to you need to get to it not only for day to day stuff but also for winterizing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much zea3 and CJadamec! I appreciate your comments and suggestions. We'll definitely put the filter and pump more toward the white fence. We're getting quite a bit of rain so we hope the builder can start the deck in the next week or so! Thank you!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.