High CYA level. I guess I need to do a partial drain?

Apr 9, 2016
Houston
Took a water sample to my local pool supply store a couple weeks ago. The only thing they suggested was to increase my CH. Took care of that. I asked them about the CYA level, and they said it was OK for now. However, after reading through the pool school articles, I'm convinced it's high. CYA is 80. Seems like it should ideally be around 40. So I'm thinking of draining half of my water. Does this seem like the right course of action?

I'm planning on using liquid bleach (8.25%) and maybe supplementing with chlorine tablets in a floater to maintain levels (I already have a large bucket of tabs).

Test results were as follows:

FAC - 1
TAC - 1
CH - 160
CYA - 80
TA - 90
pH - 7.4

On a side note, I just bought my own test kit (Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD) so I could start doing tests myself. Are the tests they do at the pool supply stores more accurate than the home tests? Is it still worth the time to take a water sample to them once a month?

pool.jpg

No, your kit is far superior to pool stores. It is literally a waste of time to get your pool store tested.

On a side note, I just noticed the Temperature part of their test. That's actually hilarious.

e: Yes I know it matters what temperature the water is when it is tested. I've got a feeling they are all 70 though.

80 is a bit high for a non-saltwater pool. But, in Houston during the summer you are going to want your CYA around 60. I would leave it at 80 and just set your FC accordingly, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. CYA will probably drop 3-5 ppm per month or so.

LOL!! Not much point in reading temp of a small water sample that couldn't possibly be what the pool temp is. Unless you use a thermos. :)

+1 to not going to the pool store. I have never had my water tested at a pool store.

80 is a bit high for a non-saltwater pool. But, in Houston during the summer you are going to want your CYA around 60. I would leave it at 80 and just set your FC accordingly, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. CYA will probably drop 3-5 ppm per month or so.

LOL!! Not much point in reading temp of a small water sample that couldn't possibly be what the pool temp is. Unless you use a thermos. :)

+1 to not going to the pool store. I have never had my water tested at a pool store.

Thanks! According to the chart, I should have my FC between 9-11. Currently it is at 1. Think I should SLAM the pool first since I am so far below the recommended min (and have been for some time)?

- - - Updated - - -

No, your kit is far superior to pool stores. It is literally a waste of time to get your pool store tested.

Interesting. I guess it was naive of me to think they had some superior testing equipment. As if they have a mass spectrometer behind the counter or something. LOL! Live and learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.