Air in Liquidator lines

Tim C

Jan 21, 2008
Rhode Island
Finally got around to installing the liquidator. Thanks for all the advice/tips in this forum. My problem is I'm still getting air in the line right after the flow meter. I'm using the 1/4 supplied vinyl tubing. I tried teflon tape on the threads on the the flow meter, then tried the permatex #2....it is better, but it still entrains air which gets sucked into the strainer basket/filter. I only have one check valve in place, in the "in line", after the filter to the liquidator. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I really would like to get this thing up and running. Thanks to the advice in this forum, I was able to use the strainer basket connection, and I cut in a "T" fitting between my filter and heater so that I can plug that fitting at the end of the season.

Did you check the check valve if indeed it's unidirectional?
Try more teflon tape plus "liquid teflon" on those flow indicator connectors threads. Let them dry before you connect the assembled flow indicator to the system.
Do you see air bubbles coming through the threads now? Another common place where air comes through is the out float tubing adapter.
If everything fails try a check valve between the flow indicator and the pump (assuming there is nothing else between the two.)

Thanks for the tips. I put a check valve between the flow indicator and the strainer basket....didn't seem to help much. I put some hose clamps on the tubing adapters on the flow indicator, and that helped a significant amount. I can adjust the flow without a ton of air getting entrained in the tubing. Now I can see that the all the tubing is crystal clear, air-free, until just after the flow adjustment valve....I wonder if the valve is leaking a little. Maybe I'll get another one, and try that.
But I must say it is much better, and hopefully livable at this point. Thanks for the advice....I'm crossing my fingers that this will be functional.

Open the flow adjusting valve to the max, and spray water on the tubing joints using a spray gun and try to find the leak. You may also use a dye from a leak test kit.
This will help you to locate the leak. If you suspect that the flow adjusting valve is the culprit change it .
The flow indicator threads are renowned to leak air. Make sure you do a good job there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.