Multi port problem

Mar 10, 2017
Marietta
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and taking on opening and maintaining my pool this year. I've only lived in the house 2 years now. I've already learned a ton on this forum. I've got DE entering my pool from the return jets. I cleaned the grid per a very helpful thread on here and all went well. The grids look good cleaned up, no holes. So Next I opened up the housing of the multi port. I believe the inside of the housing is damaged. To me it looks like the spider gasket is not seated between the two pieces of metal like the rest of the housing. Is it supposed to be like this or is it damaged? I'm going to try and post pics I took. So bare with me if they don't post. Thanks in advance for all the help. IMG_2554.jpgIMG_2555.jpgIMG_2556.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP.

That spider gasket should not be like that, and appears to be in need of replacement.

This is most likely the cause of your DE entering the pool. I would change and properly lube the new gasket.

Remember, never operate the MPV with the pump running, and always rotate the valve in one direction only (I go clockwise with mine).

Thanks for the reply. It also looks like a piece of metal is missing or broke off where the spider gasket is not seated. I just don't know enough about these things to know it that's by design or broken. The gasket is definitely shot.

The spider gasket should be in a channel that supports it. The reason your gasket looks like that is because it has no support in that area (if that is the broken area you are talking about).

From your photos, the piece that's broken may require that you replace the valve itself, if the gasket base channel assembly isn't removable.

The reason is that the gasket channel sidewalls are what retains the gasket inside the channel, thus preventing leakby issues with the valve.

As domct203 just posted, the channel walls must be intact to allow proper sealing with the gasket.

Thanks! You confirmed what I thought. Where the gasket is bowed out it looks like part of the channel is broke off and missing. I'm just going to replace the whole housing and multi port. Thanks again for helping me out!

2yv1geu.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.