Swimming, Solar Panels and SWG

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
Muskegon, Michigan
I read somewhere in my Intex manual that swimming with the SWG should not be done.

What is the deal with this?

I also read that the last thing in the line before the water enters the pool must be the SWG. Does this mean I can't use my solar panel anymore? I have the Intex SWG that is a combined filter pump/SWG.

that's correct...matter of fact you should have that pump unplugged while swimming if you really want to be safe.....especially if it is wired via an extension cord....I have the stand alone intex swg and I run it for 2hrs in the evening after we have finished swiming...the reason...all electrical equipment must be properly bonded to your pool, unless double insulated...I can't find anything in the manual stating it is double insulated and there is no bonding lug...it's a cheap toy like swg that works great...but I do not trust it mechanically to swim while it's running.

Also I'm sure intex makes that statement as a good portion of Intex owners do no bother ensuring the pool is wired to code...we used to have a 12ftx36" round intex... I know I didn't until an inspector driving around stopped me while mowing last year and said either have your electrical inspected and put a 4ft high fence around that pool or take it down..."or yes I will fine you, but I am really trying to avoid you unintentionally harming your children"

The next day, I drove to town, picked up a pool permit aplication and figured out our small oasis was a death trap with 4 kids roaming around the yard.

Our new pool now has a pool alarm at the pool and in the house, 4ft high self close latching gate, 52" high walls, dedicated GFCI protected circuit for the pump, accessory GFCI circuit, and the pool is bonded to all metal parts within 5ft of the pool....but my intex swg, gets unplugged each night...it may be overkill, but it won't kill me.

As far as the solar panel vs swg....usually that is the case, but you really have no choice...I don't see why you couldn;t just make the panel your last item before returning to the pool

Good luck...enjoy the swim season

absolutely agree Jason...I should have mentioned my town is very strict, and I did not want to frighten the poster, but I must say it did give me a wake up call to make sure the area is secure and safe.

Again I know I may be now on the other extreme side of caution :roll: ...so hopefully any others out there electrically familiar with the Intex swg can help calm my nerves

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.