Any easy fix to a 5mm long, 2mm wide crack on a PVC pipe line?

Jun 6, 2016
San Jose
IMG_5082.jpg

It'd be better to post a video while I don't know how to do so just past a photo here. There's a short 2mm wide crack locates at the inner side of the L junction, which is closed to another T junction. It's hard to cut and change the pipe here I suppose. I want to try a simple fix with roof sealant to seal the crack first, then put bandage wrapping. Posting before doing that to check if anyone has better idea or similar experience. Thanks.

The pipe is for my rooftop solar heating panels BTW.

To be honest the best method is to cut out the bad joint and glue a new one in. You will chase you tail endlessly by trying to repair that crack without replacing the joint. And all the magic repair fixes will cost you tens more that what the handful of PVC fittings will cost.

Agreed, new fittings are needed. Someone tried to cheat on that joint by cutting the 90 short. With good joining and gluing, you can get away with taking a half inch off a 90, but not the entire socket.

It looks like an attempt to create an angled fitting. The pipe needs to slip straight into a socket. If you have enough length after the fitting, it's OK for the pipe to absorb the angle by bending it into a gentle curve after the weld has set. Otherwise, you use two 45s (rotated slightly out of line) to create the small angle needed after the 90 elbow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.