Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any easy fix to a 5mm long, 2mm wide crack on a PVC pipe line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any easy fix to a 5mm long, 2mm wide crack on a PVC pipe line?

IMG_5082.jpg

It'd be better to post a video while I don't know how to do so just past a photo here. There's a short 2mm wide crack locates at the inner side of the L junction, which is closed to another T junction. It's hard to cut and change the pipe here I suppose. I want to try a simple fix with roof sealant to seal the crack first, then put bandage wrapping. Posting before doing that to check if anyone has better idea or similar experience. Thanks.

The pipe is for my rooftop solar heating panels BTW.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    20 year old 12k Gal IG pool with SPA, Concrete white plaster, 1.0HP pump, Cartrige filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any easy fix to a 5mm long, 2mm wide crack on a PVC pipe line?

To be honest the best method is to cut out the bad joint and glue a new one in. You will chase you tail endlessly by trying to repair that crack without replacing the joint. And all the magic repair fixes will cost you tens more that what the handful of PVC fittings will cost.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, you'll have to do it the hard way.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed, new fittings are needed. Someone tried to cheat on that joint by cutting the 90 short. With good joining and gluing, you can get away with taking a half inch off a 90, but not the entire socket.

It looks like an attempt to create an angled fitting. The pipe needs to slip straight into a socket. If you have enough length after the fitting, it's OK for the pipe to absorb the angle by bending it into a gentle curve after the weld has set. Otherwise, you use two 45s (rotated slightly out of line) to create the small angle needed after the 90 elbow.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Someone tried to cheat on that joint by cutting the 90 short. With good joining and gluing, you can get away with taking a half inch off a 90, but not the entire socket.
    It’s a street 90, that’s how it looks.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Whoops! Yeh i see that now.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners