Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner. Mountain of Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner. Mountain of Questions

Hey Guys, new pool owner here and new member of the forum. I'm buying a house in Fallston, MD and I have some questions.

The previous owners of the house took the pool chemical system with them but left the pump. I'm intrigued by salt water systems. Whats a great DIY salt water system for a 20k gallon pool? What all would I need to buy?

My other main question is where to source the water for the pool. I'm told that the pool has been drained all the way down so im weighing the pluses and minuses of trucking in the water or using my well.

If my well pressure is around 10 gph, is this enough to fill the pool without totally trashing the pump?

If I go the trucking in route, what can I expect to pay, worst case?

I know its a lot but any answers I can get would be greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner. Mountain of Questions

You won't trash your we'll pump but could over task the well. Pulling that much water at one time can play screwy with your water table for a few days
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I encourage you to test the well for iron content before you use it. Well-filled pools are a continuous source of problems with iron content
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is comes..............it depends (man I hate when people say that ). Each area is so different. My well is on a wonderful Florida underground stream that is wide and deep. I knew I could fill without over tasking it so I did. If you are unsure of your well's water source then ask your new neighbors what they think.

I would also see if there are any metals in your well water. This is the only test we even think about having done at the pool store as the DIY tests are costly so.........just don't buy anything they try to sell you LOL

Cost of trucked in water. I have seen as high as $500 a truck down to $300 a truck. You will have to call around your area and see what they say.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks a lot guys I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into this but this is a great start!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I second the notion that you won't hurt the well pump. Advice I've gotten from my well driller and pump guy is to open two spigots all the way if you have that option as the goal is to keep the pump running constantly and not cycling on and off.

Agreed with what others said. The concerns are the metals and water supply.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would not fill from your well. We have been running a rainfall deficit for the last few months. If we don't have a wet spring, then have a dry summer, you will not have done yourself any favors. Just my cautious mind. Pay for trucks that will get you Baltimore City water (probably treated out of Loch Raven) which is good and guaranteed free of metals. It'll cost you but it's a one time thing. Each spring I let the pool refill after pumping once in mid winter to keep the water below the tile. Then I'm just topping off the last bit with my well.

Our original fill trucks were $250 each for 7,000 gallons I believe (Baltimore City water - Liberty Reservoir for us). Three trucks and the rest by our well.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If my well pressure is around 10 gph, is this enough to fill the pool without totally trashing the pump?
    Well, I think that is a typo but if your well produces 10 gph, you will be sucking nothing but air and muck within about an hour.

I think you mean 10 gpm, which is a decent well but not enough to trust refilling with......at least not in one continuous flow.

A spigot full open usually draws about 10 gpm (I think) so you would be withdrawing water as fast as your well can replace it......too risky.

Get your well tested for iron and then, if it is iron free, consider several "sessions" to get your pool full.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Now be honest kim................we know dang well in Florida your water table is 3 feet.......ABOVE ground!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Now be honest kim................we know dang well in Florida your water table is 3 feet.......ABOVE ground!
    Welllllllll! LOL if you count the HUGE rain storms some days I have to say I agree!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit