Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone with experience with ProTeam Metal Magic?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone with experience with ProTeam Metal Magic?

We have a new pool build. I noticed a couple of rust colored stains, and my pool builder said to purchase a metal stain remover. I purchased ProTeam Metal Magic, 2 quarts and followed the instructions the store gave me according to the label.

Has anyone had any success with this? Or any issues? The clerk said some cloudiness may develop but that it's normal and to make sure we rinse out the cartridges after. She said to run the pump continuously for 48 hours but that results may not be seen for 7 days.

Thanks for any feedback!
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone with experience with ProTeam Metal Magic?

I believe that ProTeam's Metal Magic is a sequestrant not a stain remover. It will sequester the iron but may not lift the stain. There is more here about identifying the stain and then a link to the AA treatment to remove the stain. Then the sequestrant should help.

Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Ugh... I guess the store clerk did not know what she was talking about as I specifically asked for a stain remover.

So for the vitamin C rub... the stain is on the 6 foot end... how is this usually done? Do I dive down and just try to scrub it? Thnx for letting me know about Metal Magic
    First time pool owner
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater

4. Back To Top    #4

If the water is too cold you can crush some up in a sock and hold it down there with the brush. Or toss a few tablets in there and move them to the stain if you miss.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Has anyone had any success with this?
    Greeting and sorry I missed your post earlier -- I was a heavy metal magic user before changing to saltwater. MM will in fact lift light iron staining if applied in sufficient quantities...there's a sponge test to perform to which I can link you later.

However, for spot treatment on a new pool, what I would recommend instead is applying Ascorbic Acid directly using either a dishwasher wand tube if its in reach, or the pool tool to which I will link you.

Either way its good that you now have sequestrant in the water, because it will bind the iron released when you lift the stain. So no worries.

Link to pool tool...note it says its for use with muriatic acid, which you can also use and which is better for copper staining, but you CAN load it with powdered AA and let the water seep in a bit to release the mild acid: https://www.amazon.com/Purity-Pool-O.../dp/B004VLB3VE

If you want a cheap date on AA, here's a link: the vendor is a good guy with good product Amazon.com: Duda Energy asc1f Bag of L-Ascorbic Acid Powder 99+% Food Grade USP36/BP2012 Naturally Fermented Pure White Crystals Form of Vitamin C, 1 lb.: Industrial Scientific

And just so you know (though this is not the right treatment in a new pool with just a few spots) here's the MM PDF : http://www.proteampoolcare.com/image...SpongeTest.pdf
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for all the info! We added it Monday so the pool appears a bit cloudier.

-is it safe to swim in?
    -are rust stains more of a cosmetic issue or could it damage the plaster if it sets?
    First time pool owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it is safe to swim. Rust stains are purely cosmetic.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

THANKS!
    First time pool owner

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL!!! You stole Kim's emoji!
    TFP Moderator