First time pool owner

ryantx

Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
Keller, TX
So we thought it'd be fun to buy a new to us house with an existing pool. I've been reading through the pool school pages, have a TF-100 test kit, and think I have an idea on which direction to go. The pool water is clear, but there looks like there is some darker film growing on the walls. The filter pressure indicates it is still in the "clean" zone. More details on pool in signature.

Test results:
Water Temp = 65F
FC = 2
pH = 8.2
TA = 160
CH = 200
CYA = 30
Salt = 6600 (I think this is not correct, as the SWG controller thinks the salt level is low)
CC = 0

From reading thru Pool School, it seems as though my first steps are to:
1. Drop pH to 7.2 with acid, then aerate to get the TA down to 70. May require repeating to achieve this... Then shoot for a pH of 7.6.
2. Add bleach to raise the FC to 4.
3. Do the overnight chlorine loss test to see if I have something growing, then SLAM if I do.
4. Redo the salt level test and also check the SWG cell/controller to make sure it's operating correctly (currently set to run at 20% for around 6 hrs a day).

Anything I'm missing? The SWG control panel has a sticker that says the salt level should be 2700-3400 ppm, does that sound correct?

Thanks, Ryan

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Yes, 2700-3400 is a normal salt level

You're going to want to run your pH at 7.8 during normal operation, it will want to be there anyway.

For a SWG, ideally you want your CYA to be between 70 - 80. Also your FC should be 4 - 6ppm. You want to check that your SWG is generating chlorine correctly. My test kit shows a high salt level as well even though my system and the local Leslies are much lower. I just go with what my system says as it seems to work.

The PH is going to drift up as you use the SWG. Adjust your pH to 7.2-7.8 and not any lower. Monitor your pH and when it climbs to 7.8 add acid to lower it back to 7.2 - 7.5

Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.