Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We're converting our pool to a salt system and are opting for an EasyTouch8 with IC60 (link below). Our pool guys are quoting us $3800 for everything including install, electric, initial salt etc. Is that reasonable? The actual equipment seems so much less, but then I don't know how much work is involved or if there's additional details I'm not considering since this is a conversion. There is an existing (old) Jandy AquaLink system out there already, so it's not wiring from scratch. Initially he was charging us for ET & the IC60 separately, about $5000 total, until someone on this board pointed out they come together, a detail I passed along and resulted in the $1000 price adjustment. Just want to be sure we're not being taken advantage of!. Thanks!

Pentair Easy Touch Control System 521150. EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 Control System. Pentair 521150.

Hmmm. For the sake of argument $2000 for the equipment and $1800 to install.
Salt will cost $7 a bag, 20 bags or so, plus misc plumbing parts $200.
Maybe 2 days of labor (I'm being generous)and time to train you to use the equipment, So lets just say, it take 16 hours. He'll be making $100 an hour for his time. You tell me are you being taken advantage of???? I'm not trying come across smug or anything, it comes down to your comfort level, and what he's doing for you.
Personally, I think the cost is a little high.

The best way to determine is ask him for an itemized quote. He should break down equipment and labor separately (like a mechanic would). If he won't do that don't' trust him. Also get three quotes. Let people know you're getting quotes & they'll be competitive. $100/hr is not a lot in our area but as bobo says he's being generous with his time estimates. With an itemized estimate you'll know how much he's charging for labor and then decide if it's excessive. Given that he was already charging 1k over what he should have I'm sure he is not cutting you any deals on the new quote. Also look for electricians who promote pool hook-ups, they will know how to install these things and you can buy on your own and have an electrician install. Pool guys in our area have 7 months to make a full year's salary so they will charge whatever people are willing to pay them.

Luric

For the NJ area, I would not think that $3,800 total is too high.

If you were paying me to install your upgrade than $100 an hour would be a lot. But for a real business, I don't believe that is out of line. There is a lot more to running a business than just paying the guy that does the installation.

I do agree that one quote is just not enough.

The only other thing I would say is to list everything you want your ET system to do, and then make sure the $3,800 price covers it.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I would get three quotes but the quote you have is in line with what I have seen in my area. It costs less when installed as part of a new build. Maybe also look at the install guide for the ET8. I think they are kind of tedious to install.

Yes to 3 quotes; always a good idea. Itemized is best.

$3800 doesn't sound all that high to me considering the installer is likely going to find problems (they always do) and you're paying for their guarantee it will be done right. As well, you'll be getting the slightly longer 12 month warranty by Pentair (ask if the installer will increase that on their dime) as opposed to a 60-day warranty on self-installation.

If you bought one more piece of Pentair equipment (need a new filter?), then you'd get the 3-year warranty from Pentair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little off topic here.....having a new IG pool built this spring and have been going back and forth between salt and regular chlorine (I know both are chlorine).... I've heard that SWCG can be a little more expensive up front. How much more expensive would you expect for the entire system? Thanks in advance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.