water missing from pool while closed

wet_labrador

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
new jersey
hey guys,

so about 2 months ago i started to think my water level had been decreasing. it was minor enough that i chalked it up to evaporation, impossible as that sounded.

but somewhere within the last month, the water level definitely got lower. and now i think the pool cover pump i had must have been siponing water from under the cover through some kind of hole somewhere on the cover.

the water level must be a foot lower from where it was when i closed the pool.

it just dawned on me today that the water provides an opposing force to the ground and that my walls are in jeopardy of cracking. but it's freezing outside now and i'm not sure it's so wise to try to refill now. suggestions?

How low is your actual water level currently? Relative to the top of pool and to the 'shallow end' if you have one? Unless it is really low, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would be more concerned about your liner shifting than the pools walls for now. If your pool isn't a block of ice, I would add water now for peace of mind but I wouldn't add water on top of ice though.

We've had a string of nice weather days, if you want to add some water I would say go ahead and do it. How deep is the shallow end where you have 12" of water remaining? Keep an eye on your cover pump and see if it starts to pump out water once the water level gets higher.

thanks guys.

i did refill not long after i posted. i stopped about 12 inches from filter because we were getting freezing whether and didn't want plumbing problems in the house.
this weekend i finally got the last 6 inches done.

i removed the pump. nearly had the cover cave in. threw the pump back on it and tided the cover up.

whew. thanks.

just hope the walls didn't crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.