party blue

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I bought this stuff called party blue,it supposed to color the pool water a deep blue. I am having a party for my 10 year old son and thought it would be kind of fun.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Would it do anything to the water balance? I got some on my hands and it stains your hands like paint would but it doesn't come off. I guess it will in a few days,til then I look like I just painted a room a strange,dark blue.

I've used the blue before and it's pretty cool. It only last a day or so and the color intensifies if the chlorine is on the low end, like 1-3ppm. I usually dump the whole bottle in! :mrgreen: I haven't bought any for awhile and probly won't. I don't let my chlorine get that low.

It usually colors the water more by the walls than the middle of the pool too.

It does stain skin though! :shock:

dayhiker said:
Anyone tried dry ice in the pool? I've heard that's pretty neat to do. Any downside?
Yes, since carbon dioxide is heaver than air if you have a 'cloud' of it over the surface of the pool it is possible to asphyxiate if you are in the water.
Just a minor downside! :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking of trying this stuff too. My pool refuses to give up the slight green tint, so I figure if I dye the water (which is chemically just fine) it should stop looking "dirty". And we're having a party in a few weeks and it would be something fun to talk about. I'm definitely thinking red, but I'd rather turn it purple. Anyone ever actually play with this stuff? I wanna know what happens if you mix colors; I can't seem to find any discussion of it from the manufacturer or otherwise. I'd imagine people don't change colors if you actually use the correct amount for your pool size. Mine's a puny 5000 so I'd imagine an ounce would color the whole thing.

I used GLB Party Blue in my pool once years ago and it worked as advertised turning the water into a darker shade of blue. I didn't notice any staining, but I didn't use more than recommended.

I also added dry ice to the pool once as described here. Note that it does lower the pH.

Dry ice would definitely lower the pH. You are essentially creating carbonic acid (the same stuff found in acid rain, which is why acid rain is blamed on excessive emissions). It's a relatively weak acid, so it's probably akin to using vinegar to clean up scaling around the pool, though depending on how much dry ice you use you'll probably lower the pH more than cleaning with vinegar would. And as long as you're using the pool as a prop and not for swimming, there's probably no big harm in lowering the pH temporarily. Mine runs low frequently from all the acid rain around here, dropping below 7 at least once a season generally, if I don't pay close attention.

Glad the blue worked well for some folks. I was just hoping someone has tried mixing colors before. I'd think if I did 15ml of red and 15ml of blue I'd end up with some sort of purplish tint. Maybe I'll just pick up the stuff ASAP so I can do a test run and have it all filtered out before the party which isn't for a few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.