Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: party blue

1. Back To Top    #1

party blue

I bought this stuff called party blue,it supposed to color the pool water a deep blue. I am having a party for my 10 year old son and thought it would be kind of fun.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Would it do anything to the water balance? I got some on my hands and it stains your hands like paint would but it doesn't come off. I guess it will in a few days,til then I look like I just painted a room a strange,dark blue.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: party blue

Gosh what if everyone comes out stained blue? Like the girl from Willy Wonka? LOL

Never heard of it, sorry.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes, we sell it in our store. It will turn your pool a deeper blue and it can stain if you put too much in(4oz treats 20K gallons). There's 4 different colors to choose from. Red, blue, yellow, and green. We don't offer the latter 2 for obvious reasons. lol

http://www.PartyPoolUSA.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, this sounds like a horrible idea

Almost as horrible as putting a tablet of RIT dye in someones showerhead.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

5. Back To Top    #5

Just threw it out,not worth the chance.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I've used the blue before and it's pretty cool. It only last a day or so and the color intensifies if the chlorine is on the low end, like 1-3ppm. I usually dump the whole bottle in! I haven't bought any for awhile and probly won't. I don't let my chlorine get that low.

It usually colors the water more by the walls than the middle of the pool too.

It does stain skin though!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Anyone tried dry ice in the pool? I've heard that's pretty neat to do. Any downside?
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker
    Anyone tried dry ice in the pool? I've heard that's pretty neat to do. Any downside?
    Yes, since carbon dioxide is heaver than air if you have a 'cloud' of it over the surface of the pool it is possible to asphyxiate if you are in the water.
    Just a minor downside!

9. Back To Top    #9

That would be a party downer.
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I believe it lowers your pH also.

11. Back To Top    #11

I can see having a late Oct party by the pool with a fire in the firepit and then putting some dry ice in the pool. Would be a pretty cool visual.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Gosh what if everyone comes out stained blue? Like the girl from Willy Wonka? LOL

Never heard of it, sorry.
    ROFL!!!!! This sounds like a really bad idea to me. But to each his own.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

I was thinking of trying this stuff too. My pool refuses to give up the slight green tint, so I figure if I dye the water (which is chemically just fine) it should stop looking "dirty". And we're having a party in a few weeks and it would be something fun to talk about. I'm definitely thinking red, but I'd rather turn it purple. Anyone ever actually play with this stuff? I wanna know what happens if you mix colors; I can't seem to find any discussion of it from the manufacturer or otherwise. I'd imagine people don't change colors if you actually use the correct amount for your pool size. Mine's a puny 5000 so I'd imagine an ounce would color the whole thing.
    24' rnd AG,15k gal, 150# sand filter w/Hayward pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I used GLB Party Blue in my pool once years ago and it worked as advertised turning the water into a darker shade of blue. I didn't notice any staining, but I didn't use more than recommended.

I also added dry ice to the pool once as described here. Note that it does lower the pH.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Dry ice would definitely lower the pH. You are essentially creating carbonic acid (the same stuff found in acid rain, which is why acid rain is blamed on excessive emissions). It's a relatively weak acid, so it's probably akin to using vinegar to clean up scaling around the pool, though depending on how much dry ice you use you'll probably lower the pH more than cleaning with vinegar would. And as long as you're using the pool as a prop and not for swimming, there's probably no big harm in lowering the pH temporarily. Mine runs low frequently from all the acid rain around here, dropping below 7 at least once a season generally, if I don't pay close attention.

Glad the blue worked well for some folks. I was just hoping someone has tried mixing colors before. I'd think if I did 15ml of red and 15ml of blue I'd end up with some sort of purplish tint. Maybe I'll just pick up the stuff ASAP so I can do a test run and have it all filtered out before the party which isn't for a few weeks.
    24' rnd AG,15k gal, 150# sand filter w/Hayward pump

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I used the Red 2 weeks ago, it just made the pool a purple color.