Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using aluminum measuring cup for chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Using aluminum measuring cup for chemicals

I purchased an aluminum measuring cup for adding chemicals to the pool - then realized it may react with the chemicals, especially acid. Can anyone comment on any potential reactions? Thanks!
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using aluminum measuring cup for chemicals

Don't use aluminum. It's not compatible with many chemicals, especially acid and chlorine.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes indeed. It does not deal well with high and low pHs at all.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks! Wish I had thought to ask first! Should I just use plastic then?
    First time pool owner
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JuYuHu View Post
    Ok thanks! Wish I had thought to ask first! Should I just use plastic then?
    Yes.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

I would never use anything but plastic

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

7. Back To Top    #7

I got this from Amazon. I liked it because it has measurement marks in ounces and goes up to 64 ounces, which is good for adding acid. I just make sure to rinse it out real well after using it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then I got these for testing the water. The squeeze spout makes it easy to add precise amounts of water to the test tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log

8. Back To Top    #8

Deano, I hope you stick around! This is awesome info ^^^^ that stuff is purrfect for testing! THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, that is fancy! I need to up my game!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Perfect - I will order these from Amazon. I had ordered the 2 quart aluminum from Amazon... which will now become a watering can, lol.
    First time pool owner

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

Just don't use the same one for acid and chlorine.

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by VinDeeLoo View Post
    Just don't use the same one for acid and chlorine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Without a thorough rinsing first.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

I use the same plastic container for both acid chlorine all the time. I just simply dip in the pool one time between chemicals. Never had an issue. Obviously you don't want to mix the chemicals, but using the same plastic container hopefully it's not an issue.... if so I need to learn about that.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lykly View Post
    I use the same plastic container for both acid chlorine all the time. I just simply dip in the pool one time between chemicals. Never had an issue. Obviously you don't want to mix the chemicals, but using the same plastic container hopefully it's not an issue.... if so I need to learn about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, thats what I do. I also took a sharpie and wrote "Pool Chemicals" on it so nobody will use it to fill the dogs water bowls or something.

18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log

16. Back To Top    #16

Trying to contribute here... microbiologist wife says dipping the container in pool water doesn't get off all the acid so be careful where/how you store it and using your hands on the container without gloves. She also recommends glass vs plastic for acid.
    Approx. 13,500 gallons above ground
    All glass tile
    Hayward DE Filter, Hayward VS Pump- (pool filter), Hayward VS Pump (neg edge overflow)
    Date of pool build: 2018
    Spa, Ozone UV, Autochlorination, AutoPH, Autofill, Omnilogic, Taylor K-2006

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by AJB1234 View Post
    Trying to contribute here... microbiologist wife says dipping the container in pool water doesn't get off all the acid so be careful where/how you store it and using your hands on the container without gloves. She also recommends glass vs plastic for acid.
    I think practically speaking, rinsing the measuring container in the pool is good enough to remove the majority of acid - For sure you don't want to go using the same container to mix your next cocktail but for our intended use it should be fine.

Generally you do not want glass anywhere near your pool. If it breaks and shards etc end up in the pool it can be very difficult to remove and will be a hazard to swimmers.
    ** Almost swimming in it: ~36K Litres | FG 8 x 4.4m | Astral Viron P320XT 1.5HP VS Pump | Astral Equilibrium 45 SWG | CA400 Sand Filter | Dolphin M500 | Solar Heating | Clear Choice Labs Test Kit | Pool Build Thread
    POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by AJB1234 View Post
    We are conducting pool care, not microbiology. Rinse the measuring cup out in the pool, scrub with a rag if it makes you feel better.

Glass by the pool is a bigger problem when it breaks than getting every last molecule of acid out of the measuring cup. You are working with wet hands and utensils here, things are slippery. Iíve dropped my plastic measuring cup more than once .....
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Plastic measuring cups & each chemical needs an exclusive cup.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

You all didn't think I'd miss this thread, did you!?

You don't need two different cups, but two is arguably safer than one.

These are the bomb:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Angled Measuring Cup Set: Industrial Scientific

And here's why:

Do not be tempted to pour your chemicals into your measuring cup(s) anywhere but directly over your pool water. Not even a foot away. Dispense slowly in front of a running return, then rinse in the pool water. You carry the jug of chemical (acid or chlorine), and the measuring cup, in a bucket to your pool. You set the bucket so it's just on the edge of the pool, overhanging a little bit. You lift the measuring cup over the water and then the open jug, and measure out your chemical into the cup. Put the jug back into the bucket, then dispense the chemical, rinse the cup, then put the cup back into the bucket.

If you do it right, then neither jug nor cup, nor any errant drips from either, will ever be over your deck, only the bucket. That is best practice (IMO) and will help ensure you never get any of either chemical on your deck.

Now the reason those OXO cups are the thing to use, is because with a regular cup, you'll have to raise it closer to eye level to measure out the chemicals: closer to your face, your eyes, etc. With the OXO cups, you can measure with the cup very close to the pool water, because you can see the marker lines from above the cup!

I studied this at length (and bored everyone here about it) and this is what I've come up with, and it works.

Consider protective gear when working with these chemicals: eyes, lungs and hands. Most others here don't bother, but muriatic acid can cause permanent damage to soft tissue, so the choice is yours.

And if that's not enough info, you can subject yourself to this thread of mine and have a good laugh:

Getting ready for SWG

Skip ahead about 50 posts if you don't care to read about the other ideas covered there...

BE SAFE!!
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast