Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2" vs 1.5 " Hayward MP Valve (Noob Question)

1. Back To Top    #1

2" vs 1.5 " Hayward MP Valve (Noob Question)

I'm replacing the laterals and valve on my sand filter. I ordered the Hayward SP0714T ProSeries VariFlo Top-Mount Multiport Valve from Amazon. Just realized that my old one is 2" and the new one is 1.5". It's compatible (I think), but will it work ok? Should I return it and get a 2"? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2" vs 1.5 " Hayward MP Valve (Noob Question)

AND, the guy at the pool store talked me out of unions.... Said they are more likely to leak. Thoughts?

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Is your existing plumbing 2"? How big is your pump?

If a union is installed correctly, and the o-ring is not damaged, and properly lubed, the union should last quite a long time. Did you ask the guy at the pool $tore how you are to remove the multiport in the future if there are no unions? You should deep clean your sandfilter once a season, and to do that you will need to remove your MPV.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If your existing plumbi g is not 2" I wouldn't worry about it. If it is 2 inches I would prefer a 2 inch valve. Btw unions are your best friend. And usually the only thing that causes a leak on them is a bad o ring which is usually damaged if it's pinched when union is tighten and the prints can be replaced and cost cents.
    15k gallon free form in ground. Marlin blue Diamond brite finish. Gray pavers deck with gray coping. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS pump, Hayward C4030 425 and Raypak 90k BTU Heatpump. Led pool light