skimmer locations and what pump and filter buy

Jun 9, 2014
new york
hello!!

Im DIY and rebuilding inground rectangle pool 16x36 standard diving 8' deep end(25000 galons??). what filter and pump would you suggest(good filtration and no crazy electric bills). there will be new pvc pipes 2" or 1-1/2"

also already ordered 2 aqua genies.. instruction says should be installed on long wall separated min 8'. before my pool had standard 2 skimmers were installed on short wall(deep end) + 2 returns on short wall (shallow).

Am I suppose to leave aqua genies in same place where old ones were or install them on long wall.... or is it better go with 1 aqua genie(was reading that 1 will filter better than 2).

diag included for better understandingDIAG.jpg

Hello,
North east corner would be preferred for the skimmer. Use the wind to push surface stuff towards skimmer. Water feature? No features, I'd recommend a 2-speed 3/4 or 1hp pump or if your electric cost are over $.30kwh then a variable speed pump. If they (the 2-speed/variable speed are within $100 price difference I might lean towards the variable speed, but would depend on electric cost. If you're able go with 2" plumbing (less friction loss). As far as filter, do you plan on leaving the equipment out all year or will you be bringing it in in the winter?
Use unions to make removal easier (pump and filter). Sand filters are very heavy, if your planning on brining it in. So then you've got the option of DE or Cartridge. Either way go with the largest your budget affords, it allows more time between cleanings. I'm partial to cartridge filters, you remove the cartridge filter, hose it down, replace. No backwashing. I've got a saltwater pool, and don't use pucks. When you back wash sand or DE you're throwing away pool water, then you'll need to add it back in along with the associated chemicals.
It really is personal preference on the filter. There is no right or wrong. It's about choice.
That's my .02 cents.
Good luck and welcome.

already bought variable speed pump sp2303vsp. id like to go with 2" pipes. I dont know how exactly calculate flow resistance etc etc... but based on my pool size i need about 60gpm filtration. manual says, that pump should do 80gpm with 2" pipes. now filter... 80gpm should be ok or better little biger.

i plan to use 2 skimmers aqua genie... is it better to instal to separate 2 lines(1-1/2" or 2" pipes) or 1 line 2 skimmers(2" pipe)

there will be 2 aqua genies (suction with returns) am i suppose to add extra return. if yes i guess hole in jet will be about 1" or something what pipe use with that??

next thing i dont understand is, if filter/pump has conections 1-1/2" and i want use 2" pipes???

I'd recommend a 2-speed 3/4 or 1hp pump or if your electric cost are over $.30kwh then a variable speed pump.

thanks for reply... im in long island, ny looks like rate is about 0.20kwh. BUT i found on ebay a stea
l for 400$ shipped brand new sp2303vsp with broken flywheel cover(reg sale 650$). Since I work in manufacture warehouse there's bunch of burned motors im sure i will get some replacement cover

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.