Pebble finish question

smanni

Oct 20, 2012
Wildwood Crest NJ
For those of you that have pebble finishes - quick question.

I have evaluated the benefits (beauty and longevity) of pebble finishes and the negatives ("potentially" texture) - but I have a little bit of a different question.

If you have had your pebble pool for several years - have you noticed any measurable or appreciable amount of pebble shedding? In other words, for those of you with "Active" pools where adults and kids play volleyball, use scuba tanks, basketball and generally enjoy activity in the pool - have you noticed the pool losing pebbles over time? I assume that in the first year it would but what about after that?

A very small amount (handful or so, not more than 2 cups in total) in the first year (all captured by the inline canister on the suction side cleaner) and then little to none in years 2+. Any newly constructed pool will have a little bit of shedding and debris in the first few months (I found a half-dollar chunk of pebble plaster in my pump strainer basket in the first month), then it subsides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, if you plan to use the pool for heavy activity, I would not go with standard pebble but something smoother. Regular PebbkeTek is good for looks and for "hanging out" in the pool. Heavy activity on it will result in sore feet.

Have you looked into AquaBright?

Also, if you plan to use the pool for heavy activity, I would not go with standard pebble but something smoother. Regular PebbkeTek is good for looks and for "hanging out" in the pool. Heavy activity on it will result in sore feet.

Have you looked into AquaBright?

Thank you for the reply! We are planning on walking on the finish before we finalize our decision. Hoping to finalize the details of the pool this week - so we likely have 60+ days before we need to 100% commit to the finish.

Yes I have looked into it extensively as it is owned locally to me and headquartered in the town I grew up in. I am sure it is a great finish for some - we are not considering it at all. Quickly and easily eliminated. We are likely to land on pebble...but still considering quartz.

Pebble shedding isn't an issue, especially after a few months. Total non-issue after year one. Our pool is very active at times and used almost daily. I agree that pebblesheen is quite a bit smoother, as is pebblefina. We have black pebblesheen and the pigment has faded a lot in 5 years, more than half of it is gray now. If I had it to do over, knowing your position on AB, I would most likely go with a gray quartz finish. A quartz finish with well maintained TFP water chemistry will easily last 25 or 30 years, will be quite a bit smoother than pebble and since mine ended up gray anyway I might as well start there.

Pebble shedding isn't an issue, especially after a few months. Total non-issue after year one. Our pool is very active at times and used almost daily. I agree that pebblesheen is quite a bit smoother, as is pebblefina. We have black pebblesheen and the pigment has faded a lot in 5 years, more than half of it is gray now. If I had it to do over, knowing your position on AB, I would most likely go with a gray quartz finish. A quartz finish with well maintained TFP water chemistry will easily last 25 or 30 years, will be quite a bit smoother than pebble and since mine ended up gray anyway I might as well start there.

Thank you! Its funny- we are going gray! Whether its pebble, quartz, or my hair!... I love the look of the water with a med gray color plaster.

LOL!! Right, my pool and my hair and my dog are all turning gray. I like the blue water of a gray plaster a lot too. We were on the fence between gray and black, now we have both.

From my research I thought I heard pebble would last longer than quartz, but both would fade over time. I'm also going with a gray finish and undecided between quartz/pebble.

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Pebble will last longer than quartz, maybe 5 years or something. The real key to longterm plaster, quartz and pebble life is managing pH, TA and CH over the life of the pool. When properly managed regular plaster can last 20+ years and it only goes up for quartz and pebble finishes. Improperly managed I've seen any of the above need replastering in 5-10 years. And in bad cases less than 5 years.

I have a PebbleTech finish. We love it. Very durable. The only downside is that the finish is rough. If you rub your foot or hand hard across the finish, skin will be removed. My wife likes it for removing foot calluses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.