Equipment Advice

Mar 11, 2017
miller place
So i inherited a pool when I purchased my house last March. Been lurking on this site and have gotten great advice, but After dealing with a leak and their old equipment, I'm ready to upgrade. The pool is an 16' x 36' rectangle. 1.5" piping.

The current set up is a 1.5HP hayward superpump that looks like it has seen better days and a Hayward DE2420. Something tells me that this filter is undersized for this size pool.

I want to get a variable speed pump and every store i have visited has recommended the Pentair superflo VS 1.5 HP But i have gotten conflicting answers on which filter to get. Some say Hayward, some say Pentair. Is there a big difference? Also do you guys recommend a 36 or 48 on the filter? And what do you think about this set up?

Also they had the pool equipment just laying on the dirt. Do you guys recommend I buy some sort of mat to put down so it's not directly on the ground? Thanks in advance!!

L,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool upgrade questions... :snorkle:

If this were my pool, and I was planning on replacing both the pump and filter, I'd start at the ground up and re-plump the whole thing.

The first thing I would do is build a concrete pad big enough to hold everything. You really don't want the equipment sitting on the ground.

I'd also replace the multiport valve.

One reason for starting over is that most likely nothing will fit anyway. Your new pump will not fit into the same spot your old pump was in. None of your old plumbing will line up with you new equipment.

The SuperFlo should work well for you. There is little difference between the Hayward and Pentair filters. The bigger the filter the less often you have to backwash or clean them. Especially with a VS pump run on low.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

The Pentair Superflo VS pump is a great pump. If you prefer Hayward the Maxflo VS pump is very similar. Filter brand doesn't matter. My PB put my equipment on a premade pad. There are premade equipment pads available for pool equipment, AC equipment, etc.

I just finished this project on my ancient, inherited, finally started leaking, system. No current backwash valves would fit the old filter so I chucked it all and started over (motor/pump was ok though).

I had a concrete pad for the filter to sit on since it's 500 lbs of sand alone, not counting water and filter. Simple push/pull backwash valve, and all is right with the world again. I went with Pentair and am very pleased with the ease of install.

Before:
yCwlbHvb.jpg

After:
gfogD69b.jpg

Attachments

• yCwlbHvb.jpg
    yCwlbHvb.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.