Borates

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I feel like I've gotten my testing methods and pool maintenance under control. I was reading about Borates and I just wanted to type this out to make sure...based on my calculations for my pool size, I would need over 130 lbs of the 20 Mule? That can't be right can it???

According to my PoolMath results to go from 0 to 50 ppm in 20k gallons I get
1177 oz borax or 73-1/2 lbs, I think the boxes at the grocery store are around 4 lbs, so 19 boxes. Might need to hit a couple of stores for that.
561 oz muriatic acid or 4.4 gallons

Or you can order 764 oz of granular boric acid from Dude Diesel. Or 47-3/4 lbs. Which is handy because they sell a 55 lb bucket.

Have you read this article?
Borates - Why and How

I used the Boric acid from Duda Diesel and i highly recommend going that route. It will cost you roughly the same amount of money but a lot less time. Plus you will have some left over so you can make the small maintenance additions every once in a while. Be sure to get your PH set before you add it. It wouldn't hurt to have your PH a little on the high side because the Boric acid will lower it slightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.