help needed wiring slave timer for booster pump

Mar 11, 2017
Round Rock, Texas
hi all,

I could have sworn I've seen this before but I cannot find it now, so I'm sorry if this is a redundant post. I bought a house with a pool last Fall in Austin, TX and I'm in the process of straightening things out. The booster pump was burned out and the Polaris 280 was in terrible shape. I bought a new PB4 and a new Polaris 280. I have an old single speed pump. Both the pumps are on separate 120v breakers. The problem is that the pump timer is on the same breaker at the PB4 wiring. So if I want the main pump timer on, I have the booster pump on as well. This is no good. So I want to install and secondary timer for the booster pump and wire it off the main timer but using the second circuit to supply power to the booster pump.
I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere. I can see diagrams for running both pumps off the same breaker, but nothing for running each pump off it's own breaker. The main timer appears to be a T103R, 120V DPST. I've tested the voltage and it's 120V at the timer and it's clearly DPST. I need to know which other timer to buy and the wiring diagram for it. Can someone point me in the right direction? And, again, I apologize for not finding the post that already has this.

Thanks,

Tony

The wiring on the current setup is a mess. The timer circuit for the single T103R that I have is here. It's using the DPST to control both pumps. I have to throw the second breaker manually to start the booster pump and run the cleaner. The routing is crazy, it goes through two different boxes and back through the main loadcenter before existing through two whips. It's all 120V. I'm going to clean it all up
2017-03-11 Timer Wiring POR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do have three separate lines but only one line is switched. The other two run straight to the pumps from the loadcenter. So I drew it wrong, you're right. please see revised drawing. Only one wire is switched, all the wires coming in to the T103R have voltage on them

2017-03-11 Timer Wiring POR.jpg

Here is what I would suggest:

Neutral from line coming from main pump breaker to A and to pump neutral. Don't switch the neutral. Hot black to #1. #2 to main pump. Hot from booster pump breaker to main timer #3 and to booster timer clock (clock only, disconnect from #1 terminal in booster timer). #4 on main timer to #1 on booster timer. #2 on booster timer to booster pump. Neutral to A and booster. Green to timer ground and to pump ground.

Yes, that looks good.

Just to be sure, your pumps are both running on 120 volts now, correct?

In your post 2 posts up, you show that the neutral connects to #2 line. The neutral should not connect there. It should go straight to the pump.

Thanks for the confirmation, and you are correct about the error above that. In a previous wiring before I cleaned it up partially, there was another neutral that came in just for the clock that I removed and then jumpered over to #3 so I forgot to leave out that wire. I'll be able to clean this all up now when my new timer arrives in a day or so. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.