Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help needed wiring slave timer for booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

help needed wiring slave timer for booster pump

hi all,

I could have sworn I've seen this before but I cannot find it now, so I'm sorry if this is a redundant post. I bought a house with a pool last Fall in Austin, TX and I'm in the process of straightening things out. The booster pump was burned out and the Polaris 280 was in terrible shape. I bought a new PB4 and a new Polaris 280. I have an old single speed pump. Both the pumps are on separate 120v breakers. The problem is that the pump timer is on the same breaker at the PB4 wiring. So if I want the main pump timer on, I have the booster pump on as well. This is no good. So I want to install and secondary timer for the booster pump and wire it off the main timer but using the second circuit to supply power to the booster pump.
    I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere. I can see diagrams for running both pumps off the same breaker, but nothing for running each pump off it's own breaker. The main timer appears to be a T103R, 120V DPST. I've tested the voltage and it's 120V at the timer and it's clearly DPST. I need to know which other timer to buy and the wiring diagram for it. Can someone point me in the right direction? And, again, I apologize for not finding the post that already has this.

Thanks,

Tony

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help needed wiring slave timer for booster pump

Hey again,

I did some thinking. Will this do it? Just run the neutral output from the first timer into the neutral input of the second timer?

Tony

2017-03-11 Timer Wiring.jpg

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Documents Downloads - Intermatic
    [English]&f:documentation-type=[Instructions], try the instructions at bottom labeled T10101R

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the response. I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like it's only for driving the two pumps from a single circuit breaker. I have two circuit breakers for my two pumps which is where I'm getting hung up.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

6. Back To Top    #6

Are your pumps running on 120 volts?

Can you post a picture of the current wiring of the existing timer?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have two circuits and two times and two pumps why not just wire both timers and pumps independently?
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

8. Back To Top    #8

The booster needs to be powered only when the main pump is on.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

The wiring on the current setup is a mess. The timer circuit for the single T103R that I have is here. It's using the DPST to control both pumps. I have to throw the second breaker manually to start the booster pump and run the cleaner. The routing is crazy, it goes through two different boxes and back through the main loadcenter before existing through two whips. It's all 120V. I'm going to clean it all up
    2017-03-11 Timer Wiring POR.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

What you're showing can't work.

Do you have two separate lines going to each pump with a black, white and green wire?
    Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

I do have three separate lines but only one line is switched. The other two run straight to the pumps from the loadcenter. So I drew it wrong, you're right. please see revised drawing. Only one wire is switched, all the wires coming in to the T103R have voltage on them

2017-03-11 Timer Wiring POR.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is what I would suggest:

Neutral from line coming from main pump breaker to A and to pump neutral. Don't switch the neutral. Hot black to #1. #2 to main pump. Hot from booster pump breaker to main timer #3 and to booster timer clock (clock only, disconnect from #1 terminal in booster timer). #4 on main timer to #1 on booster timer. #2 on booster timer to booster pump. Neutral to A and booster. Green to timer ground and to pump ground.
    Support the site

13. Back To Top    #13

So, to draw it out, so I have it right, like this?

2017-03-11 Timer Wiring - 2.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, that looks good.

Just to be sure, your pumps are both running on 120 volts now, correct?

In your post 2 posts up, you show that the neutral connects to #2 line. The neutral should not connect there. It should go straight to the pump.
    Support the site

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the confirmation, and you are correct about the error above that. In a previous wiring before I cleaned it up partially, there was another neutral that came in just for the clock that I removed and then jumpered over to #3 so I forgot to leave out that wire. I'll be able to clean this all up now when my new timer arrives in a day or so. Thanks for all the help.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, the diagram assumes that the pumps are wired 120 volts.
    Support the site

17. Back To Top    #17

yes, everything is 120V. Thanks again for the help.