Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Channel Drain Install Concerns

1. Back To Top    #1

Channel Drain Install Concerns

Hi All, I had my in ground spa re-plastered last summer and just noticed that the channel drain install took my tub from two pump suction locations to one. The current suction point has two pipes one for the filtration/heating/skimmer line (1/2 HP) and one for the spa jet line (1 HP). I have noticed that when I have the spa jets and circulation pump going the suction force at the back of the channel drain is pretty strong. I am not sure if this is safe and if the channel drain was installed properly? The pictures are of the tub in its original configuration (two separated drains) and after the channel drain install. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

11182_10201738501477591_1436319492_n.jpegIMG_1698 3.jpgIMG_1695 3.jpgIMG_1701 3.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Channel Drain Install Concerns

Hey, Welcome to TFP,

Presuming both were open before it looks like they plugged one off to me as well. It doesn't seem correct to me, but what did they say?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum!

I see two pipes there at one end of the channel. I wonder if the inner pipe is tee'd off the outer pipe and used to go to the other old drain. Regardless, why they didn't just leave the T connection to the other side is strange. Ask the builder.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all for the feedback, I haven't talked to the company that did the re-plaster yet. I assume as soon as I bring this to their attention they will simply try to convince me it was installed correctly. Lets see what they say. May need to get another builders opinion.