New Michigan Pool guy

jaz29

In The Industry
Mar 11, 2017
Commerce Twp., MI
Hello TFP users. After working in corporate America for a number of years, I have decided to get back into the pool service business. I am based in Commerce, MI which is about an hour NW of Detroit. We have a short season, so I want to be effective with my route. Looking to you for some tips and guidance.

Hi Jaz, Welcome to TFP! Here at TFP we are all about people taking care of their pool on their own. We stress having your own test kit and following this schedule: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

There are very few pool service businesses that can really care for other's pool the TFP way as it is not cost effective for them. Saying that I will share a couple of links for you to read over to get an idea in the hows and whys of what we do here at TFP.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

What we use in our pools:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Kim TFP MOD

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Please do not get frustrated when you see that the recommendations we make are completely different from those "in the industry". We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it and this is why it can be difficult to use many of our methods in a commercial setting.

First is testing. We teach that at least for FC & pH testing should be done daily until the pool owner gets a feel for the pool and what chemical additions are necessary. Once the pool owner puts together a pattern then testing can go down to a few times a week as they understand their pool. A commercial service does not have the luxury of multiple testing during a week in most cases.

We also teach that consistent slow additions of chlorine are best. Many who follow our teaching utilize a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG/SWCG) or a Stenner Pump.

We tend to stay away form solid forms of chlorine which is the mainstay of the commercial pool care market. why or why not solid chlorine? In it's natural state, chlorine is a gas. Many large commercial pools actually use gas injection systems to chlorinate their pools. Now, to change chlorine into something we can use at home it needs to be bound to something. The "somethings" that are commonly used are stabilizer (also known as CYA), calcium, lithium, or --- get this water. All of these add a little salt to your water, but they add something else. Cal-Hypo add calcium, Tri-Chlor and Di-Chlor (tabs and most granules) add stabilizer, Lithium hypochlorite adds lithium and liquid chlorine adds - water.

All of these things can be bad for a pool (except the water) in large quantities. The stabilizer helps shield the chlorine form UV degradation, but at higher levels it also impairs the ability of chlorine to do it's work. The higher the stabilizer level you have the higher the amount of chlorine you need. Too much calcium and you start to get scaling on the walls and floors of your pool.

But, with that being said, solid chlorine can be utilized in some areas of the country, maybe yours. Those areas that can use it generally have a very short swim/pool season and have the deed to drain a significant amount of water for winter closing. This tends to keep the CYA levels in check.

You may or may not agree with what we teach, nor choose to advocate these methods, that is your choice. But, what we teach is documented in our Pool School.

We generally suggest new members start with these three articles:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

As someone in the industry, I am sure you are aware of what Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training is. Well, we have the following article you may find interesting: Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught