New pool going in the ground-Easy Touch Cable??

jasong

Mar 10, 2017
House Springs
Hello all!

New user here in the middle of a new install. Lots of mud in the yard right now with this crazy St Louis weather. I am looking for some input on the best way to handle the final hookup of my new equipment. My PB has set the pump / filter package and the Easy Touch is up and running. I had a brief chat with the startup tech the other day while they were trimming out the valves prior to back fill of the pipe trench. I had asked why they were not bringing the speed control cable from the VS pump up to the EasyTouch. He said they just set the program on the pump directly and set another schedule in the Easy Touch for the SWG. I'm not sure this is the best option since a change of schedule at one device would drive me to adjust both potentially. The other reason is we have deck jets that are automated with a valve actuator. Wouldn't it make sense to have the Easy Touch in charge of the entire system??

My thoughts:

1. Pump relay should turn on SWG and 1st speed digital input on VS pump
2. Aux 1 Speed 2
3. Aux 2 Speed 3{if needed}
4. Aux 3 Lighting

Sorry about the long first post but I want to do this right the first go around.

Im not sure if I am going to need higher speeds but if needed I can use Aux 3 for Speed 3

Re: New pool going in the ground

Welcome to the Forum Jason!

I don't really know. I don't even have a SWG, and I wanted the cable on mine. Why they wouldn't utilize it is something another will have to answer.

(I took the liberty of adding to your thread title, so the right people may see it.)

J,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool equipment questions... :lovetfp:

The EasyTouch was designed to control the Intellifo via a serial cable. This makes controlling the SWCG and pump speeds very easy. If not too late, I'd get the right pump..

The SuperFlo, does not have a serial input and uses a cable that lets you set speeds with the ET's relays (Sounds like you already understand this...)

So, the only way for the ET to control your pump at all, is for the cable be connected between the two units.

To make this work, your SWCG would have to be wired for 120 volts not 220. This is because you'll need the Pump/Filter relay to apply power to your SWCG using only one of the two sets of contacts. The other set of contacts will be used to turn on speed one on your SuperFlo pump.

As you listed, Speed two would be controlled by Aux1 and speed three by Aux2.

The downside is that to do this, you have to violate the "low voltage" wiring in the high voltage section of your ET. Also, I heard, but don't have any proof, that the relays in the ET are for high voltage only and that somewhere in their documentation they say not to use them for low voltage circuits.

In my mind, no rational installer would add the EasyTouch without it having the ability of controlling the pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I will be pushing for this with the PB. The reason for the comment on relays / low voltage has to do with contact material and wiping. The higher 120/240 can break thru oxidation and pitting on the contacts and conduct where the 5v dc control power may not get thru. Typically a gold plated relay contact would be used for the low power control circuit to prevent this issue.

Hind site being what it is, i would have paid to upgrade to an inteliflo pump for the serial interface.

J,

Thanks for the info on the internal operation of the relays. Good to know, I'll save it as I might need it later. :p

If this is a new pool, I would seriously talk with your PB about an upgrade. If he is the one that spec'd the SuperFlo, he should take some responsibility..

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.