Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: gallons per min and sheer decsents and water fall

1. Back To Top    #1

gallons per min and sheer decsents and water fall

Im replacing the 3 sheer descents in the pool 2 36" wide and one 48" wide

the PB says that I need to go smaller to get better results
    The Sheers and the water fall run off one dedicated Pentair intelliflo VS pump
    I rarely run any of the pumps at full rpm

He says going smaller will make the sheers look better and leave more water for the water fall
    Have you seen issues like this ?

I think the sheers worked fine before - if the water fall was off and the pump at 100% the sheers spit water halfway across the pool ...
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure 1400 SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: gallons per min and sheer decsents and water fall

If you have dedicated valves for each item then you can control which one does what and how much.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you like what you have and it works, then changing it doesn’t make much sense. Don’t go smaller if you don’t want smaller.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Depending on the manufacturer of the sheers you should have 1gpm per inch water flow. So a 36" sheer should use 36 gallons per minute. What you have listed should use 120 gallons per minute for all 3 sheers. They should push water out about 10-12" before it starts dropping. It takes a bit of playing with valves and pump rpm to get them to look right.

I would look at changing the Intelliflo VS to a Intelliflo VF.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics