Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cover Woes

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cover Woes

CAN'T KEEP THE COVER ON.

24' Above ground pool. We always put on a 28' cover, based on past experience. The edge of the cover has a cable thru the grommets, PLUS we put a second cable right at the top of the pool. Additionally, the cover is clipped all around the edge. I fill the cover with a few hundred gallons of water. There is a balloon (pillow) in the middle under the cover.

The pool's location is in an open spot, so any normal wind is directed right at it. Yesterday we had a wind storm, with gusts topping out at 70 mph. I spent the entire day replacing the blown off clips and tightening the cables every 20 minutes.

When it gets windy the cover billows up like a balloon. When a gust pops it up violently, it pops off the clips.

We are in a freezing climate so I can't keep the water level high or add more water to the cover because it may crack the fittings.

The problem is only prevalent when it thaws. If I have a full layer of ice around the top, the weight of it holds down the cover. When it thaws the water is forced to the leeward side, and hence the billowing of the empty side.

Is there a better way to secure the cover?
    24' round above ground pool, vinyl liner, 13,555 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP sand filter. Using 8.25% grocery store bleach. Testing with TF-100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cover Woes

This is what I do. Water jugs and rope. It may be a little overkill but the cover held with the wind the other day. The leaf net in the picture does not stay on during the winter. I also added grommets to the cover for a much better fit around the pool rail.
    Larry

Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    This is what I do. Water jugs and rope. It may be a little overkill but the cover held with the wind the other day. The leaf net in the picture does not stay on during the winter. I also added grommets to the cover for a much better fit around the pool rail.
    Larry
    I had a similar idea. Where do you tie the ropes off?
    24' round above ground pool, vinyl liner, 13,555 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP sand filter. Using 8.25% grocery store bleach. Testing with TF-100 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use 2" spring clamps to secure the cover
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

5. Back To Top    #5

I have no problem with mine staying on, but my neighbors blows off. He now uses empty bleach jugs filled with water and hangs them from the grommets on the outside of the pool. Hasn't lost his cover in 2 years so far.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
    I had a similar idea. Where do you tie the ropes off?
    My pool liner has an opening at each leg so I can tie the rope around the rail there.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by LI poolguy View Post
    I have no problem with mine staying on, but my neighbors blows off. He now uses empty bleach jugs filled with water and hangs them from the grommets on the outside of the pool. Hasn't lost his cover in 2 years so far.
    That is what the previous owner of my pool did, and it's worked well for me this winter, too.
    24'x52" vinyl beaded liner, Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward SwimPro LX 1.5 hp
    Kontiki 2 cleaner, Nature 2 (with mineral cartridge removed)

8. Back To Top    #8

That is the same thing that I did with my winter cover this year. I criss crossed the ropes over the top like a spider web and weighted them down with half filled jugs of water. It worked great. After fighting the cover in past years with wind ballooning it up the cover in past years this was 100% better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    Larry

25,000 gallon, 33'x54" Round AG Sharkline Matrix, 26" sand filter, 2 speed, 1 hp Pentair optiflo pump

9. Back To Top    #9

This is the first year we have done the bleach bottles filled with water and other than having to bail a little water off the top of our cover.....it has help beautifully this winter. We will be opening this weekend and hope to be enjoying some clear blue water soon!
    We are swimming!!!!
    Pool is an AG round 20 ft x 52 inch Intex.
    Approx. 10100 Gallons
    Sand filter, over the wall skimmer, artistically decorated wedding cake steps
    4x4 deck with steps and pool level float holder! (Thanks Honey!)