Losing Water over Winter?

Jun 6, 2016
parlin
Hi everyone!

My husband has been noticing that the pool is losing water. I believe when we closed it, it was a few inches below the skimmer, and now he says that it's at least a foot,maybe more under the skimmer, so there's something wrong. He went out looking around last night and I asked him if he saw any wet spots, he said no. I figured if there was a leak or an issue with the liner, that there'd be some kind of puddle or wet spot. Or is it just normal that the pool loses water while being covered?

I know we have a 1 year warranty on the liner, which would be May 5th, but he doesn't want to open the pool that early. But if there's any issue with the liner, I'd like to find out before the warranty is up, not after.

Here in Ohio, my pool with cover gained water. You might have a leak at the return fitting (very common). Or the level will stop were the leak is if its a hole in the liner at the sidewall.

Its possible that heavy snow on your cover displaced the water in the pool and pushed it out the return fitting or skimmer. I know I lost a good 4 inches of water from that after we got about 14inches of very heavy wet snow. You could also have a small leak. I would measure the level of the water from the top rail when the cover is pumped as dry as you can get it then keep a close eye on the water level. To see if there is a leak or not. If the water level is really low and the cover isn't being supported by the water in the pool you will either want to refill the pool or take the winter cover off. There was a thread not too long ago where a pool was severely damaged from a pool cover full of snow after the water in the pool drained from a leak in the liner.
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/132634-walls-buckling-on-my-above-ground-pool
If you think it is a warranty issue open a dialog with whoever your warranty is with and get some proof in writing that you brought the issue up with them before the warranty period expired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.