New to SLAM - First test is here

Jan 31, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
So, I got started on my pool *before* finding out about SLAM, so my readings appear a little out of whack.
I had already put in 10g of liquid chlorine from Wal-Mart the week before.
I ordered a Taylor K2006 and did my first complete test last night - here's what I had:

FC 2.2
CC 0
pH 7.0
TA 40
CH 60
CYA <30
SWG=OFF

Since my CYA is non-existent, I dont know what my target/shock FC should be.
My pool is not green at all. I suspect the original 10g of chlorine did the job.
I can see to the bottom in the shallow end and can just barely make out the drain in the deep end.
This morning, I added 2gal of liquid chlorine just to keep the FC level up.
I'm especially worried about the CYA.
I'll do another complete test tonight which will be 24h after the first test.

Any pointers?

Are you registering some CYA, or is the tube clear to the top? If you are reading some, I would call it 20 and SLAM, otherwise I would add enough to aim for 20 and then SLAM.

Be sure to read this article a few times, SLAM is not a blind, one time dosing of chlorine, it is a process:
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

When SLAMing you shouldn't be using your SWG, so no need to refer to the SWG portion of the chart for now. Just using the top part of the chart (non-swg) when you are SLAMing.

If you are sure about the CYA being low you can use pool math to find out how much you need to get to 30. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze or two whenever you think about it. It can take a little while to dissolve. Once it's all gone wait a day and try the test again.
Of course, continue the SLAM as you have been. Adjust FC target as CYA changes.

FYI, the CYA test is light and temperature sensitive. The water needs to be room temp. The test needs to be performed outside in the sunshine with your back to the sun while holding the vial at waist level. You can pour the sample back and forth if you are unsure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.