Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened up pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened up pool

So I was bored yesterday and pulled off the pool cover. I knew there would be a few leaves and their were. What I didn't expect was yellow mustard algae on the pool walls and floor. I've kept up with testing the water and adding chemicals and running the pump for 4 hrs each day over the winter to keep it to where it should be. No big deal, just added some bleach and started brushing. Ran the pump and filtered the water over-nite and brushed a bit more today. Its been about 30 hrs now and the pool water is clear and I can see the main drain cover holes in the deep end which is 8 feet deep. I know the chlorine levels are high so I'm going to wait a couple of days and take a fresh set of readings and see what needs to be added or adjusted. Just don't quite understand why I got the algae when the test readings were all right where they should be. Any thoughts as to why??
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened up pool

You sure it was algae and not pollen? Pollen often is yellow (at least in my neck of the woods) and sticks to the walls. My skimmer sock will be full of it and its fluffy appearing.

Otherwise- what were your test results?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

+1 on pollen, especially pine tree pollen in my area. To confirm if was algae did you perform an OCLT?
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

All the advice on this forum should be centered on your pool test results. What were they when you first discovered this issue.....what are they now?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I didn't take a set of readings before i uncovered the pool but here are the readings from 2 days before I opened the pool. I guess it could be pollen, but I have a full solid cover on the pool, but i guess it could have blown in from the sides..

ph 7.5
    fc 5
    cc 0
    ch 275
    ta 100
    cya 40
    water temp 64
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.