Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy

1. Back To Top    #1

Windy

The winds peaked at 70 MPH here yesterday. I am glad I had ropes across the pool to help keep my winter cover on.
    Larry
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Windy

It was really bad here all day yesterday.. I am glad my cover is still on and the worst part was removing a few medium size branches off of it.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir,
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter,Intermatic Timer, Hardplumbed,
    Pool Rover S2-50, 2 Maytronics Solara Heating System Panels.

3. Back To Top    #3

Dang and I though the 50 mph we got was bad. What the heck with the wind?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

same here. the winds this year seem higher than in years i can remember.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 16" pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in Oklahoma. We always have high winds.

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

6. Back To Top    #6

We had some storms here on 3/1. We had 90 mph straight line winds. It ripped the winter cover right off of our pool. (Never should have drained the water off the cover, it would've helped keep it on I think) It pulled the top rail up off the wall and pulled on of the uprights out. Some of the liner was flapping. Luckily, it was an easy fix. I had to order a new winter cover because the other one was torn up. On the bright side, the water was clear I will be putting the new cover on tomorrow. Sheesh.
    18'x33' Sharkline Harbortown AG, 16,700 Gal. 2HP 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump
    150 sq. ft cartridge filter. TF100 Test kit with Speedstir!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, clear water is awesome!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by snuhjr View Post
    We had some storms here on 3/1. We had 90 mph straight line winds. It ripped the winter cover right off of our pool. (Never should have drained the water off the cover, it would've helped keep it on I think) It pulled the top rail up off the wall and pulled on of the uprights out. Some of the liner was flapping. Luckily, it was an easy fix. I had to order a new winter cover because the other one was torn up. On the bright side, the water was clear I will be putting the new cover on tomorrow. Sheesh.
    Interesting post.....where do you live? Please add your city and state to your sig. Let us know if you need help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I live in Northern Kentucky. Just south of Cincinnati, OH. Got the new cover on today. Crossing my fingers for no more big storms for a few months. Here are a few pics. We were very lucky.

18'x33' Sharkline Harbortown AG, 16,700 Gal. 2HP 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump
    150 sq. ft cartridge filter. TF100 Test kit with Speedstir!

10. Back To Top    #10

I just had my winter cover ripped off by 81mph winds during the storm also. Managed to get it back on once the winds died down. Not happy about all the junk that got into the pool, but oh well... People had much worse damage to their homes and all I had was a pool cover that came loose and my fence gate blown off the hinges. Consider myself lucky. I'll deal with the water when I open.
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow! Lotta wind! And now there is supposed to be a blizzard in the NE? Sheesh!
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

12-18" of heavy wet snow and winds 30-40 gusting to 60. Storms like this one are why I own a generator that powers my whole house. Nothing like spring time on the coast of New England.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
    I just had my winter cover ripped off by 81mph winds during the storm also. Managed to get it back on once the winds died down. Not happy about all the junk that got into the pool, but oh well... People had much worse damage to their homes and all I had was a pool cover that came loose and my fence gate blown off the hinges. Consider myself lucky. I'll deal with the water when I open.
    That sounds like Rochester. A friend of mine there had the shingles blown off a large section of his roof.

14. Back To Top    #14

Dang! Sounds like y'all need to move!
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    12-18" of heavy wet snow and winds 30-40 gusting to 60. Storms like this one are why I own a generator that powers my whole house. Nothing like spring time on the coast of New England.
    Lol, same here for your neighbor to the south, on LI. The 12" of snow is easy to deal with, it's the wind and high tides that concern me. Coastal flood warning in effect here. Thankfully it's a fast moving storm and only one tide cycle to deal with.

Normally come September, I can't wait for the first nor'easter, it really turns the fish on, but once Thanksgiving passes, these storms suck
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    That sounds like Rochester. A friend of mine there had the shingles blown off a large section of his roof.
    Yep! Rochester indeed.
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

17. Back To Top    #17

It's good you have power. I understand there were large outages in your area.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    It's good you have power. I understand there were large outages in your area.
    Yeah, we got lucky for sure. There were powerlines that snapped on the main road near us but we only lost power for like 20 mins. Some people have been without it for almost a week.

19. Back To Top    #19

My generator was last used for our Friday the 13th storm in October 2006 when we got 2 foot of wet snow and lost our power for a week. A generator is good insurance.

20. Back To Top    #20

This is what wind did to my steps

AG, Intex 18' x48" Easy Set pool( =/- 5455 gal)
    Intex SF80110 sand filter & SWG ECO 7110, Hayward AquaCritter
    Well water, location is north Texas, usually up from late May to Oct.
    Taylor TF-100 test kit, TDS Digital Salinity meter and Taylor salt kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast