EasyTouch electrical install

Dec 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
I have read threads here and plodded through the Pentair manual, all of which confuses me more. I won't be doing the install work myself, but trying to figure out who should.

We are remodeling the pool. Currently have Intelliflo VS and Polaris pumps controlled by Intermatic timers. No heater, spa, etc.

I bought an EasyTouch 4 with IC40 and 2 actuators. We will also control 120V pool light and landscape lights. The pool remodeler will program the ET4, but recommended an electrician to put up the control center and hook stuff in. He described the electrical as being simple (not my takeaway from reading threads here), but the electrician estimate is $700. My other option is to use the electrician we are using for landscape work, but he does not have experience with pool automation boxes. Is any electrician likely to quickly understand what needs to be done?

We have a sub-panel at the pad, but only black, red, white wires from the main panel. 40A 220V.

Bill.

Any electrician ought to be able to. That being said the very first system I had an electrician install he fried all the computer boards in it because he was college educated and would not look at the wiring diagram that was on a label on the lid of the box. After that I do them myself.

Bill,

Connecting the existing electrical power to the Load Center part of the EasyTouch should be easy for any real electrician. The harder part (not all that hard) will be to understand how the EasyTouch works and how to wire power to and from the control transformers and internal relays.

If you have installed one of these panels before it would take half a day or less. It took me about a day and a half to install my first one, not because it was hard to do, but because it took time to translate the Pentair language manual into something a human could understand. :eek:

Some of the things you might not have thought about is the electrician will need to wire your Intelliflo so that it has constant power from the EasyTouch. He will also have to run a serial cable from the Intelliflo and connect this cable to one of the comm ports inside the EasyTouch. (This cable comes with the Intelliflo)

Not sure where your on/off switch is for your pool light, but the electrician will need to re-route the wiring to pass through one of the control relays inside the EasyTouch.

Power for the SWCG transformer must be routed through the Pump/Filter relay, your landscape guy most likely does not know this.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Check with where you purchased that E/T4 from. You mentioned that you have two actuators and no spa. It sounds like you got the E/T4 designed for a pool and spa. If you wanted to save a little money, you would want the PL4 (single body of water) P/N 522352, or 353 which would include screen logic. The addition of screen logic will probably cost more, and without a spa, you may not get that much convenience from it. Other than controlling the lights from where ever you had your smartphone.

Even if you were going to add solar, you would only need one actuator.

Pool Clown, I looked up your part numbers. Turns out I bought 520593 because I needed the IC40 salt cell. I have no spa, and bought the actuators separately to use with water features. I want to get ScreenLogic, but did not want to spend the $ right now. Looking at prices for your model numbers, the ScreenLogic would be about half the price I am seeing for standalone buy. Maybe there was a better model number for me to buy.

It looks like your model number do not have the breaker panel that mine includes. That breaker panel in mine is one thing that confuses me. Seems I could use breakers either in my sub-panel or in the ET4 for powering the Intelliflo, not sure about the Polaris pump.

Bill.

Sorry, the 4 threw me off. I don't use many of the E/T 4's usually the 8's. I thought you had the PL4, the entry level E/T (grey faceplate).

You would have wanted the either the 520591 (single body, no actuators, no iC) or the 593 (yours). Doesn't look like the S/L is bundled with any of the non-PL series E/T's, OR The IntelliTouch line. That don't make sense. Looks like the PL4/PSL4 is the only line that bundles the S/L with it.

Bill,

In my opinion, if you want to do this right, then the EasyTouch would replace the breaker panel at the pad end. All the breakers would be inside the ET for all your pool equipment.

Doing this makes wiring so much simpler..

ScreenLogic P/N 522104 is less than $400 at Sunplay.. It makes programming and using the ET ten times easier.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It looks like your model number do not have the breaker panel that mine includes. That breaker panel in mine is one thing that confuses me. Seems I could use breakers either in my sub-panel or in the ET4 for powering the Intelliflo, not sure about the Polaris pump.

As long as the sub-panel is located there at the equipment, and not back at the house. The PL may have been a better choice. Is your E/T still boxed up? Maybe you can return it, if it hasn't been too long since you got it.

Edit: Jim is right, but that will definitely incur more cost from your electrician to move all that over to the E/T box. If the 700.00 was to remove the old sub-panel, then do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.